3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   I want to run a marathon (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/211534-i-want-run-marathon.html)

briters89 09-01-2010 11:42 PM

I want to run a marathon

I ran a marathon October 2008, and since then I pretty much quit exercising... I have a 26 week exercise routine, and I think if I slowly build up, I will be able to stick to it. I live in a beautiful, safe area, and am excited about it! Has anyone here ran one? or have advice?? The last time I did this, I gave myself 2 months to prepare... Not a good idea! I also weigh 30 more pounds than last time.

gottadoit2010 09-02-2010 12:01 AM

Exciting! I just talked to a co worker today about getting into triathlons! Wow! I hope we both make our goals!!!

dudesmom 09-02-2010 01:55 AM

I have no advice, I'm doing C25K right now, and eventually I would like to train to run a marathon. Good luck to you!

miamimelting 09-02-2010 06:13 AM

I honestly do not think 2 months is enough to go from couch to 26.2 miles. I did a couch to 1/2 marathon and blew my hip out for over a year. You should take a year to really prepare for a marathon. I know that is not what you want to hear and I wouldn't listen when I did the 1/2. I'm currently training for a 10k and have been at it for awhile. I would go slow. Sign up for some 5k's and then some 10k's and then some 1/2 marathons...and then the big one!

Everlasting 09-02-2010 08:02 AM

I've been going on couch to 1/2 marathon for about 8 months now and I still don't feel completely ready for the race I'm doing in a couple days. I'd take more time than 2 months to prepare, especially if you haven't been running in a couple years and you've gained weight from before. Your joints are gonna need to get used to that.

But start training! It's so fun!

winning the war 09-02-2010 09:00 AM

I've been preparing for a sprint triathlon since May and still don't feel ready to compete in a week and a half! And the run portion is only 3 miles!! Since you've done it before, though, you already have an idea how to train. I'd definitely give it at least 6-8 months since you've been out of the loop for a while. Best of luck to you!!

briters89 09-02-2010 10:38 AM

No, I trained last time in 2 months for a marathon. This time I'm giving myself 6-9 months to train properly. And I won't sign up for one until I feel I'm ready. And I definitely don't feel like I'm "couch." I work all day with 8 infants, walk a good 2 miles to and from the bus each day. My body doesn't feel fat. I may have extra weight, but that hasn't kept me from hiking, walking, rock climbing, sky diving, and soon, to run my 2nd marathon. I just want to enjoy it more this time by being in total shape.