3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Holy Cow Plank Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/210845-holy-cow-plank-challenge.html)

cherylmn 08-24-2010 10:43 AM

Holy Cow Plank Challenge

This thread is inspired by ncuneo who started the "Holy cow planks" thread and Mandalinn82 who posted her KILLER plank routine, now fondly referred to as Holy Cow Planks :D.

MANDALINN82'S HOLY COW PLANKS
Plank (hold 15 sec)
Pushup
Drop to Elbow Plank (hold 15 sec)
Dolphin (while on elbows, clasp hands and push up into a downward-dog-like position) (hold 15 sec)
Lower back into an Elbow Plank
Back up to regular plank and start again!

Our goal is to get through 6 sets without face-planting. This thread is a place to state your target time frame & your progess...plus just general bragging rights for success and/or lamenting how hard they are!

Any other plank routines are welcome as well - - post 'em here & inspire all of us who are working to get that core of steel.

cherylmn 08-24-2010 10:46 AM

Goal: 6 Holy Cow Planks by US Thanksgiving Day

Current Status: 2 sets if I take a break...and drop form! OK, truthfully, I can only do 1. *sigh* I have a looooonnnngggg way to go!!

Other: Hoping to drop some inches, too. I'll take my measurements tonight & we'll see where things stand come Turkey Day in the US.

mandalinn82 08-24-2010 12:06 PM

:wave: I'm glad you all are enjoying the Holy Cow Plank! It's a revelation!

mandalinn82 08-24-2010 03:57 PM

I just did a set of 6 in solidarity. You can do it!

jigglefree 08-24-2010 06:49 PM

I'm in.
Goal: 6 Holy Cow Planks by Christmas. If I get there before then I will be too excited.

I can do 1 full set without a break.

It will be good to see my stomach flatter and back fat reduction.

mandalinn82 08-24-2010 07:02 PM

I'm going to set a goal of 10 in a row. I may have to reduce hold time to 10 seconds instead of 15, because I think 10 minutes straight on my wrists might be hard.

Hickory0305 08-25-2010 09:53 AM

I am IN! I started these the other day and wanted to die...in a good way. ;)

Goal: 6 full sets by Thanksgiving
Current: I can do almost* 2 full sets....lol
Other: It would make me happy for me midsection to look like I had a baby 3 years ago instead of 3 weeks ago....haha

cherylmn 08-25-2010 11:17 AM

I completed THREE this morning after my run!!

WOO HOO!!!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

My only caveat is that I can only do girly push ups...so maybe it doesn't fully count?

Also, I find that the dolphin is a bit of a 'resting pose' for me - I'm sure I must be doing something wrong. Suggestions?

Keep on plankin'!! ;)

mandalinn82 08-25-2010 12:36 PM

Dolphin is the easiest part of the sequence for me, too, but try to focus on really pushing down through your heels, squeezing your shoulderblades together, and pushing back until your ears are near your elbows.

jigglefree 08-26-2010 12:01 PM

I made it through my planks this morning. Still on one rotation. This could be the single most challenging challenge EVER for me. However I will prevail and I will get through six rotations without a pause. I am excited about the fact that I do regular pushups. When I do 30 day shred I do the girl pushups. So doing at least one real pushup is an accomplishment to me.

mandalinn82 08-26-2010 12:32 PM

WOOHOO! Congrats on doing a full pushup! :bravo: That was a big milestone for me as well.

I think I am going to try to do a declining pyramid set of these (6 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep).

midwife 08-26-2010 12:46 PM

Is there a video of the dolphin?

mandalinn82 08-26-2010 12:48 PM

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2462

Here's a photo.

jigglefree 08-26-2010 02:13 PM

I just looked at the picture and comparing it to what I've been doing :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. I really have work to do. I was wondering if I may make six before Christmas and that is a NOPE because I need to get my form together. Guess I better find pictures of everything to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Oh and by the by, when I get to the last elbow planks in the rotation I'm so done.

Thanks for the picture Manndalinn!!

mandalinn82 08-26-2010 02:16 PM

Sometimes I have to slide my feet forward a bit on the transition from elbow plank to dolphin to get into full form. Most important part, from my understanding, is pushing back until your ears are by your elbows, as in the picture. If I flag on form, it tends to be on that - I don't push back far enough, which means my shoulders don't get much work.