3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Too much exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/205713-too-much-exercise.html)

Serbrider 06-27-2010 11:00 PM

Too much exercise?

Ok... I looked around in the stickies... and... so sorry if I missed something... but didn't quite get my answer.

Ok... so... I'm stuck in this tiny town (primarily in my Grandma's house... which will eventually be MY house) for the next two weeks... and then in Serbia with not THAT much planned for the next four weeks after that.

Well... for the next two weeks... I was thinking of doing like a exercise "boot camp" for me and (if they want to) my little brother and cousin (who is staying here for a week).

This is what I was thinking:

Do 1 hour of yoga in the morning, to help wake me (us) up, stretch my muscles and get me ready for the day. This would be BEFORE breakfast (I'm not usually hungry until an hour or two after I wake up anyways). This video is what I have, let me know if I should use something else (I do have the Yoga Today podcast on my computer and Zune) - http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Condition...693191&sr=8-13

Do one of the 30 minute Billy Blanks Tae-Bo sessions before lunch, around an hour or two after breakfast. I have a three pack of DVDs... tried to find it on amazon... fail.

Eat lunch, watch a movie or tv show while doing various things with weights (LIGHT weights, like 10 lbs MAX per dumbbell, more like 5 lbs).

Play around do whatever until dinner. After dinner, continue my C25K (I'm on week 3 currently).

And then do around 30 minutes of stretching/yoga before bed.

Altogether, around 2 hours and 40 minutes of timed exercise, with weights, sports, etc just on the side.

Is this asking too much of myself? I love working out... I did W3D1 of C25K... and LOVED it... and this was after a week of barely running at all.

I am a beginner though... only started the running about a month ago... haven't done much else except for like ten minutes of basic stretching here or there.

So... thoughts?

(on all the DVDs... I'll be doing the "beginner" versions of the stuff)

Ilene 06-28-2010 08:37 AM

Your body will tell you if you're doing too much... it does sound like a bit much, IMHO, but if it's only for 2 weeks and your body is not showing signs of overuse injury I'd say go for it...

Yoga morning and night is agreat idea...An aereobic DVD is a good idea but I would skip it on days when you run...Why do you want just do « 10 lbs MAX per dumbbell» only, if you're going to weight train you should do as much as you can to build muscle. Muscle is metabolicaly active, so the more you have the more you burn fat...

Just some thoughts, hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress :yes:

RJS 06-28-2010 09:11 AM

Since you say you're really loving it, I think it should be fine. The most important thing with exercise is to do something you enjoy and that you can sustain. Be careful not to burn yourself out, or bore yourself with doing too much.

C25K is lots of fun because you can see how much progress you make each week. I'd suggest a similar plan for strength training. It's more fun when you use progressively heavier weights (you know your getting stronger), and like Ilene mentions it builds muscle. This usually means doing less reps/sets and increasing the weight whenever you can.

I like your enthusiasm and I hope you continue to enjoy whatever program you choose to follow :)

Serbrider 06-28-2010 10:19 AM

Thanks guys. I think I'll just do 30 minutes of Yoga... that's all I did this morning. I am kinda tired of it. :p It's boring... and makes me tired (which I guess is half the point, you're relaxing yourself).

The reason I said "max" of 10 lbs per weight (hand weights) is because I know it's not really good for you to do weight training and cardio on the same day.... then again... did I read that wrong? I do tend to do that a lot of the time.

I am running daily (for now, I can have a day off if I want though). I have nothing to do in the evenings, and I really love getting out with my dog (even if she gets more burned out than I do... :p ). But I want to use those Tae Bo DVDs I have.

Thanks guys. :) I do feel really good... and I think I might add in some Pilates or other random exercises. I have a TON of magazines sitting in my house (just got a subscription to Fitness, planning on getting one to Seventeen as well, both have random exercises in them... as do my horsey magazines!). So... yeah. :D

I'll make sure to listen to my body. Any pain (injury type pain, not "stitch in my side" pain) I will stop (not abruptly of course) and lower the amount I'll do. The reason I specified the type of pain is that I get the "stitch in my side" halfway through all of my runs... and two minutes after running through it... I'm good... and energized to finish the run. So yeah. :)

Thanks guys! And of course I'll keep updated. Might even create a blog or something... been meaning to do that for quite a while. Kinda a "daily me" type of thing, with stuff dealing with weight loss, exercise, photography, my dog, horses, etc. So yeah. :)

And thanks so much for all of the tips and ideas... keep 'em coming!! :D

(now... to breakfast!)

Ilene 06-28-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

The reason I said "max" of 10 lbs per weight (hand weights) is because I know it's not really good for you to do weight training and cardio on the same day.... then again... did I read that wrong? I do tend to do that a lot of the time.

I think you did hear wrong :) ... You can most definitely do cardio and weight train on the same days. Sometimes though, and this is listening to your body, I will not do legs and run on the same day, depends how I feel...

Serbrider 06-28-2010 02:39 PM

Ahh... ok. :) Thanks. Yeah... like I said... I tend to read things wrong... or hear them wrong... and this was one of those times I guess. :p

Well... taking a short break. I'm off to sit in the field with the cows and donkey for a few hours. Kind of an "experiment" for me... trying to see if I can get the donkey (or even just a couple cows) to walk up to me. So... got my water bottle (it's HOT out there!), a few books... and I'm going to be covering myself in bug spray. :p

But once I get back in... Tae Bo! (haven't done it yet)

So yeah... might not do as MUCH as I was planning... but still at least a couple hours worth. ;)

gardenerjoy 06-28-2010 05:13 PM

Your plan sounds like a lot of fun to me. Kind of like creating a spa retreat for yourself.

JustBeckyV 06-29-2010 12:25 PM

I agree with listening to you body and not over doing it. You will know and you will need to slow down. Sounds like a good plan for a short itme though!

ennay 06-29-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 3361647)
I think you did hear wrong :) ... You can most definitely do cardio and weight train on the same days. Sometimes though, and this is listening to your body, I will not do legs and run on the same day, depends how I feel...

BUT do take different body parts each day. If you are going to weight train daily (and when I boot camp I do) I do chest/tricep/shoulders (push muscles) on M/Th, Back/bicep/lats (pull muscles) on T/F and legs on W.

I do run on the same day I do legs, but I run pretty much no matter what!

Bootcamping is fun. Listen to your body and really have fun and mix it up. I did a 5 1/2 week "bootcamp" a while ago and can not wait until september when I get to do it again!

Ilene 06-29-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ennay (Post 3363493)
.... BUT do take different body parts each day. If you are going to weight train daily ....

Absolutely, thank you for makint that clearer ennay :D