Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Stinging Face After Run?

OK... so... this afternoon (around 5 PM) I did about an hour and a half of Wii Fit. Then I took a shower.

About an hour ago I set off for my run. Everything went great (going tomorrow to go see what brand shoe fits my foot, and then I'll try and find it somewhere online for a cheaper price that my parents would approve of), but on my way back, my face was KILLING me. Like... sharp stinging. I thought it was just the sweat. So I got home, took another shower (which I was going to do anyways), but it still kills me... it's been around 5-10 minutes after the shower...

It wasn't cold water... it's Texas... and we have two temperatures with the water right now: warm... and hot. So I chose the warm.

The rest of me feels fine... shin splints are very minor if there at all... not at all the pain of last time... more like a slight dull soreness which is more like what I feel after any workout.

But... my face is still stinging. I looked in the mirror... it's all red.

Is this normal? Is it just the pores being open and then sweat getting in them? Or... what? Anything I can do to help soothe it?

ETA: I didn't put on anything. No makeup, no moisturizer, no sunscreen... nothing. I haven't been out in the sun all day. I just wanted to make sure I put that out there... I didn't wear anything on my face when I went exercising... well... I actually didn't put anything on at all today... and it was all off last night.

Last edited by Serbrider; 06-09-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

When I sweat a lot, I get salt buildup on my face and stings me. I would put on some sunscreen before you run (the sweatproof kind, although these may make you break out, so use caution). I wash my face after I run and put on moisturizer. This seems to help.

The salt irritates my skin and stings it for a little while - it's pretty abrasive and I think I make it worse when I wipe sweat away. This is worst when I'm sweating for more than an hour.

It's one explanation for what you experienced.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #3  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

That might be it... I usually never wipe my face when I'm running... but yesterday I did... quite a bit. And that's where it was stinging the most... so that might be it.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote