Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
When I am really busting my butt I dream of an injury just to get a break. If you enjoy high intensity, it can be great (and is surely more efficient in terms of time), but you can improve you health and appearance just fine at a slower pace.
Lol yessss to the first part... and thank you!
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 159.6/143.8/125

Height: 5'7"

Different kinds of exercise, as well as different intensities, can also help. Your body gets used to things after a while, so you're bound to plateau if you keep doing the same thing. Maybe try signing up for a group fitness class for a ful-body workout, or incorporate some plyometrics into your workout. I'm in a pretty similar boat to you weightwise, and I signed up for a boot camp class and got some great results. Plus, it was fun!
I also like the HIIT for a shock to the system. Sometimes I will run at a "normal pace" around 6mph for 15-20mins, then do run/walk intervals at for the last 10-15 minutes on the treadmill, running as fast as you can for a minute, usually around 8-9 mph. Then on the last running minute crank it up as fast as you can go! You will be wiped, but in a good way, and it'll definitely work your heart!
Dreamergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

Dreamergirl, thanks for the tip! I have been following people's advice about mixing up running and walking incline intervals and really loving the work out it gives me... i will have to work up to running at 8-9mph (i can comfortably do about 8min at 6mph now) but i get what you mean about wiped in a good way... sounds challenging (in a good way)!
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

I think the 1200 calories was too low. It works for a while but then the body metabolism slows to conserve the fat. You didn't say how long it's been since you've upped your calories (or I didn't catch that anyway) but it may just take a while for your body to realize it is getting enough to eat and start letting go of the fat again. A change in exercise also is a good way to get weight loss moving again.

You're on the right track!
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #20  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I was going to echo Kris' sentiments - maybe 1200 calories is just too low. As i got close to my goal weight (which is about where you are now & I am only 1 inch taller!), I found that adding extra lean protein and really dramatically lowering my sugar intake (I'm talking natural sugar -fruits & dairy) made a huge difference. I made up for it by eating more protein/green veggies (not starchy/sugary ones) and whole grains. I also noticed that I had to back off the high cardio. I took up Pilates & Jillian's 30DS - kept my treadmill up, but dropped it to 2x/week and did the others 2x/week each as well.

Once I did this, those last pesky pounds came off and once I got to my goal weight, I slowly reintroduced more fruit & dairy as I increased my calories, and then had enough energy to kick up the cardio a notch.

I don't know if any of this will work for you, but it seems like mixing up the type of exercise (not just duration) and checking the make-up of your diet could help out.

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited by cherylmn; 07-17-2010 at 10:30 PM.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #21  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

To me your bpm sounds really high. I know a lot of people say, "Calories in, calories out, so work out as hard as you possibly can to burn the most calories," but I have had plenty of weight loss success working out in the 150 bpm range. In my experience, I have had better results when I work out 45-60 minutes, and I don't think I could do that at 198 bpm. At 150 bpm, I'm still working and still sweating, believe me!

Also, when I work out at a high intensity, I am hungrier and more likely to be exhausted the rest of the day. This makes it harder to stay on plan, and when I'm exhausted i am not a good mommy.

I think several people suggested mixing it up -- that's always a great idea!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
To me your bpm sounds really high. I know a lot of people say, "Calories in, calories out, so work out as hard as you possibly can to burn the most calories," but I have had plenty of weight loss success working out in the 150 bpm range. In my experience, I have had better results when I work out 45-60 minutes, and I don't think I could do that at 198 bpm. At 150 bpm, I'm still working and still sweating, believe me!

Also, when I work out at a high intensity, I am hungrier and more likely to be exhausted the rest of the day. This makes it harder to stay on plan, and when I'm exhausted i am not a good mommy.

I think several people suggested mixing it up -- that's always a great idea!
I agree that your bpm sounds really high. Isn't rule of thumb for max hr 220-age? If I let my HR get above 170 I get a pounding headache and start to feel woozy and stuff....If I were you I'd back off the intensity and go for a longer workout.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote