3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   belly dancing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/189263-belly-dancing.html)

zephyr524 01-01-2010 09:26 AM

belly dancing

Does anybody belly dance? I'm considering getting a video to do at home and wondering how good of a work out it really is.

Any reviews of some of the video out there? Which ones are good?

juliejenson 01-01-2010 07:04 PM

I used to belly dance. But it's been a long time!
When I did do it I thought it was great exercise and also very fun. My husband liked it too.

Can't help with the video though I took it as a class.

Definitely worth trying.

salsa chip 01-02-2010 08:00 AM

I'd really like to start! There's a place in my city which runs courses, so I'm seriously considering going for a trial lessons next week and seeing how it turns out. Bit nerve-wracking though.... :o

Catsgetnhealthy 01-02-2010 11:19 AM

I took it once a week through the community here, it's a blast. I'll be doing it again this month. Check your local library for dvds, mine had a few.

loquaciousjogger 01-02-2010 11:36 PM

I took a class on it. It was really fun. Definitely a great way to feel more confident!

PinkyPie 01-03-2010 07:24 AM

I did a belly-dancing course last summer and LOVED it! I would have done the next course but I had my foot operated on at the same time so I couldn't do it. I'm going to be signing up again for the next one.

It's fun, it's great exercise and it gives you a really nice feeling about your body. you can do it at any size and that was totally apparent in my very diverse course that I took. I can highly recommend it :)

Hyacinth 01-03-2010 07:30 AM

It's great fun, and I found it impossible to not feel sexy while doing it.

I think some of the DVDs are instructional and some are geared more toward a cardio workout. If you buy one, make sure it meets your expectations first. I like the idea of using the library or netflix to try them out ahead of time.

salsa chip 01-03-2010 07:50 AM

Wow, hearing everyone's experiences is so encouraging! I think I'll sign up for that trial lesson next week :)

zephyr524 01-03-2010 07:52 AM

Great idea about the library and netflix. I think I'll check for DVD's there. It sounds like so much fun and I love the way it looks. Does it give you a good workout as well?

salsa chip 01-11-2010 05:03 PM

Ok, I'm going for a trial lesson tomorrow. Will report back on how it was! :)

Aclai4067 01-11-2010 05:08 PM

I just read an article on the WW website about this the other day. I don't have $ to try a course but I might check to see if they have videos at my library. I'd love to take a course when I can afford it!

zephyr524 01-11-2010 05:11 PM

salsa~ I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it! I wish one of the gyms around here offered classes but they don't. I think once I lose some weight I may do this. Right now I'm focusing on the C25K but once I get up to running 3 miles I might add a different type of cardio in every now and then.

Aclai4067 01-11-2010 05:14 PM

I just remembered the gym I work at has a class. But people always watch through the window. I'd be much more comfortable in a studio setting than a gym.

Martina 01-11-2010 11:25 PM

If you have the fit network they have a show called Shimmy which is a belly dancing based workout. Its pretty good and good for low-impact or begining workouts.

Hyacinth 01-12-2010 10:08 PM

Check your Community Education classes for belly dancing classes.