yoga

• I am thinking about starting yoga and would love a reccomendation for a video. I haven't exercised in forever and have never done yoga. Would lvoe some help!
  • I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say that I'd love some idea too! I've heard so many good things about it, but it seems a little intimidating or that it might require a level of flexibility I don't have. Would also like some advice for a beginner...
  • Try this video (Yoga for beginners, Barbara Benagh, available at amazon). I love it and it really has improved my flexibility. I do it for that and for relaxation before bed.
  • I have a yoga dvd! It's called yoga for dummies and it's wonderful! You know, like all the "For dummies" books..I also have the pilates dvd too!
  • I don't have a recommendation for a d.v.d I'm afraid but, what I will recommend if it's at all feasible for you is to go to a real class, even just once for the experience, it's so much better than a d.v.d. Classes can be pricey but often communities offer much cheaper classes at a community hall, craigslist is a good place to look for inexpensive classes. I seen an ad in my local Whole Foods the other day for just $5 which is a steal. Luckily my gym offers classes which I don't have to pay extra for.

ThicknPretty- don't worry that you aren't very flexible, that's where most people start out, that's why they start to practice. Start off with a basic class/d.v.d and practice on a regular basis. The yoga pose that I'm doing in my picture was something that I never thought I would be able to do but, I can do it now.
  • At 1st I passed up this post...and then I came back to it...and my questions have been answered. How kewl is that! I have been thinking about yoga lately but I wondered if I was "too big" I'll check out those DVD'S. I wonder if the local library will have them...then if I like them I can buy them. Thank you!
  • I've seen folks of all ages, flexibility levels and sizes practice yoga. I say go for it!
  • I have no suggestions either but I will definitely take a look at the videos that were recommended, thanks! I want to get into Yoga, tried it once but never really continued it but I do remember that it was a really good work out!
  • With all the different types of yoga out there, I found it daunting to try. I finally picked a video and was very disappointed. I didn't do it again after the first try. However, I recently was thinking about it and there happened to be a yoga class on tv (I get FitTV). It was called Namaste Yoga and I LOVED it. It was slow and fluid, moving from one position to the next and the woman who was telling you what to do (so I didn't have to continually look up at the tv) spoke in a soft voice that encouraged relaxation. I actually felt myself relax and move with the people on tv. I will definitely do it again.
  • Today I picked up a VHS on Yoga for beginners by Patricia Walden at the Public Library. I'll let you know what I think....

I do have to tell you a funny...I asked my dh if we had player that would play VHS tapes...we had that discussion and then he said? Is the tape on "flavored yogurts?" No, on YOGA! LOL