3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   any skiiers here? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/187156-any-skiiers-here.html)

katkitten 11-29-2009 12:38 PM

any skiiers here?

when i was a kid, we lived up in ID and I did a lot of skiing. However, I havent been downhill skiing since I was in highschool (14 years ago) and back then I weighed about 170 lbs.
Well, some of my nursing school buds are planning a ski trip for jan of 2011 in NH. I would love to say that I will be 100 pounds thinner by then but, realistically, my current trend is about a pound a week which would mean I'd weigh around 240 by then. I get a fair amount of cardio so I'll be fairly fit cardiovascularly by then but I’ll still be really heavy and my knees arent in the greatest shape because of it. And you really dont see many really overweight skiiers.
I guess my question is: do you guys forsee any problems that i might encounter at that size while skiing and are there any special tips you can give me that might make the experience a smoother one?
Thanks!
Kat

Ilene 11-30-2009 09:26 AM

I would say, to do some weight training for your legs to make the muscles and ligaments stronger from now til your ski holiday. Squats, lunges, leg extensions all of these exercises do not require a gym... good luck, keep us posted on your progress...

nicollem 11-30-2009 12:00 PM

I haven't skiied before but I snowboard. And I could snowboard at my heaviest which was 274.
It's hard work no matter what weight you're at but I don't think there will be any big problems for you.
Just make sure that you Stop when your body decides it is tired, that's when people injure themselves.
It's especially hard being with other people who can go longer than you, but there's no shame in being the first to call it quits.

aneleh 11-30-2009 05:53 PM

I love skiing! I always find that the beginning of the season is tough physically, but that is usually because I slack on strength training between august and december.
Definately do some a few sets of squats and lunges (weighted if they get too easy) a few times a week. I find that my quads get sore the most from skiing.

katkitten 11-30-2009 10:58 PM

thanks, gals! I have really been avoiding strength training but i guess ive gotta work it into my regimen sometime haha. That's a good idea about the leg muscles. I bet the more in shape they are the more they can support my knees anyways.
kat<--slacker

katkitten 11-30-2009 11:02 PM

p.s. i'm so glad to hear that you have snowboarded at a similar weight, nicollem! It seems like people on the slopes are always so svelte that i just got worried that there was a reason why overweight people didnt do this. Maybe they are just svelte because it is such good exercise!

nicollem 12-01-2009 12:35 PM

It is definitely good exercise! I took my HRM and I burned over 2000 calories in an hour and a half!

zoritsa 12-01-2009 01:04 PM

I went skiing last year and didn't encounter to many problems(I was 242 at the time).We stayed at a ski in and out place,so when I was done for a bit,I was able to ski right to where we were staying.I think the only problem I had,was the one time I fell,lol.I had to take the skis off in order to stand up.

Tagan47 12-27-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicollem (Post 3030502)
It is definitely good exercise! I took my HRM and I burned over 2000 calories in an hour and a half!

Wow, seriously?! I love skiing too and know it's great exercise for all the strain my body takes doing it but that much! Now I'm happy! I just had a 3 day ski weekend. 2 hours Friday, 8 hours Saturday, 4 hours yesterday :eek: Sure am feeling it in my entire body today though!

mkroyer 12-28-2009 09:57 AM

Tagan-- calories burned by different people are all relative. I only burned about 300 calories in two hours, when i brought my HRM with, and i TELEMARK, which is MUCH more strenuous than downhill skiing. Not to take anything from Nicollem, but she is a lot heavier than you or i. :)

Tagan47 12-28-2009 08:08 PM

Yes I kind of figured mk :) But I still take comfort from the fact that I burned more than a usual gym session! Especially since I was too sore to go to the gym yesterday! Hoping to get in a gentle jog today.

Marjolein 12-29-2009 03:16 PM

I ski! Kinda.
Did it twice...10 years ago and last year. My problem was finding ski clothing in my size! Ended up buying a men's skiing trousers! No matter, I love it.
I do have my own ski shoes since i have massive calves and they cramp easily.

Next week I'm starting a 5 week course before going to Italy at the end of Feb to ski. Hopefully I will be able to go down better and in more control than last year!

Marjolein

Lizalott 01-20-2010 05:53 PM

ski boots for large calfs

Marjolein: what type of boots do you have. My husband is an avid skiier and my problem is not being able to find any boots at the ski rental to fit my large calf muscles. I had to use a men's 13 (I am a women's size 9) the last time i went. it was SOOO embarrassing and another time I couldn't even ski because they did not have boots w/ big enough calfs.