Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/131.5/133

Height: 5'2"

Default Great Wall Challenge

Having been inspired by my efforts at getting fit in the gym, and wanting to make sure that, when I achieve the weightloss I am aiming for, I keep up the exercise, I have signed up for a charity trek on the Great Wall of China next June - in support of a breast cancer charity.

Am somewhat daunted by what I have undertaken - it will be hot, humid and probably wet, there will be thousands of crumbling steps to climb, steep inclines and narrow parts with sheer drops on either side - so no cakewalk - but am really looking forward to the challenge.

Now to start the training so am inthe best of conditions to actually do it!
W5fatgirlslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

W5--sounds like a great challenge (and what a fun thing to look forward to). I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted about how your training is going!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

The section of the Great Wall that I visit had some VERY steep steps -- some were as much as about a foot or so high! (See the pic below)

It was sort of like climbing bleachers two at a time in some places.

So, just be forewarned that it will be a very challenging work-out!
Also, from what I remember, you won't have to worry about crumbly stairs or sheer drops off cliffs: dangerous portions of the wall are off-limits. They also have railings and low walls to prevent anyone from falling off and down a mountain.

Really, one of the hardest parts, aside from going up the steep climbs, is coming down them!

Good luck on your adventure!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 11-11-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote