3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running in November (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/185533-running-november.html)

TakingCharge 11-01-2009 12:52 PM

Running in November

Welcome runners! Let's talk about the good, the bad and the ugly of running as we challenge and support each other through our running endeavors!

Mk - Thanks for the great advice! I think I'm gonna look into some of those smaller carb enhancements so I can just pop a few bites into my mouth if I need them. Also, I think the hand strap is a great idea because I was mainly just thirsty and in need of water most of the time. My pace was actually relatively slow, about 10min/mile because I finished in 1:08, but I guess I could try to slow down a little bit next week. It's really hard for me to run slowly, but I know it's good so I don't tire out. I also might try to find a route that's not an uphill for the first 3 miles! Haha. Have a fantastic run today! Great way to start November!

Eve - I'm really interested in the camel back idea. I'm trying not to spend too much money on my running stuff now because with races, clothes, all theses tools, it really adds up! I might go for a hand strap for now and then look into the camelback after I run the half or something like that. Definitely let us know how it is! Good luck with your running today! I'm so glad you've caught the running bug!!!

Anyone else do any running to burn off that evil Halloween candy?

jayjay77 11-01-2009 01:04 PM

November already yikes! So I decided to sign up for my second 5K in December. This one is on pavement, not cross country. I have been on vacation for the last two weeks, scale is up, so really need to get back to running!

EveLHaelf 11-01-2009 05:23 PM

:dizzy: Silly me! I post bright and early this morning and didn't even realize it was november 1st! WOW!

Mk, my run went great! Afterwards, I did some strength training on my bi's tri's and back muscles. I think on my run resting days I will work my legs and abs. I'm also going to get a swim pass and start swimming laps on rest days so I still get a good cardio workout. I'm glad I did a good job on picking the right breakfast for running! I put some thought into it, lol. And the p.b. protein shake was YUMMY! Just like having a milkshake without all the crap and high calories!
Hope you can fit in the last few miles of your run in somewhere today! You can do it! Running barefoot, is that some kind of secret weapon of yours? ;)

jayjay, Good luck with your 5k! You can do it! :carrot:

taking charge, yeah the camelbacks do get pricey! I'm going to dig mine out and try it out on Tuesday. I will let you all know how that works (or doesn't lol)

I'm signing up for a "christmas run" on December 19th. It's only 2.5 miles so I will totally be ready for it when the time comes. Any advice for running in the cold?

Fat Pants 11-01-2009 10:20 PM

Howdy ladies.... can you believe it's November already?? I took the entire week of Thanksgiving off from work...hubby and I are planning on doing absolutely nothing but staying home (actually I have a 5k to start off the vacation, but other than that!) I'm REALLY looking forward to it... feeling so burned out lately, including running. 3 more weeks!!

I got out and ran a wonderful 3 miles around twilight tonight... it was warm (50 or so) and the hills I usually struggle on were so easy, it surprised me. I think weight lifting/strength training that I finally built into my exercise program is working wonders on my legs. Since it has been blizzarding the past week, I've been on the treadmill at the gym. It was great to get back outside.

My 10k is in two weeks. I'm SO not ready for it, but it's ok. I'm really trying to go in with no expectations and just run an easy, relaxing race. I'm thinking I need these races to keep my sanity during the upcoming holiday season!! :D

Eve ~ The only advice I have for running in the cold is dress lighter than you think you'll need to. you will heat up and the last thing you want is to over heat a mile into it. I highly suggest running tights - yeah they look silly but they keep you really warm. If you're looking for new running gear, try to find moisture wicking clothes. I personally use Nike Dri-Fit gear and love how it keeps me dry and not too warm.

Re: Camelbaks - I used to run with them when I first started out but it weighed me down and honestly for a 5k I didn't need water. We have a bunch for hiking so I didn't spend any extra money on them, but it's worth a shot to run with one and see how you feel.

jayjay - good luck with your 5k in December!!

TC - You betcha about running off the Halloween candy... we got rid of most if it with the trick or treaters but still had some left over. Normally I'm scheduled for weight lifting today but I got that run in as well to work off those tootsie rolls so *I* don't start getting any rolls! LOL

bablou00 11-02-2009 02:54 AM

Well ladies Im offically going to join the chatter this month. It was just too late to jump in last month. SO hello again;) I am not a huge runner. I ran track in the past and ran a mini in 06 but running is the best exercise (for me to get me and keep me healthy). So I put up with it. We have a luv hate relationship:hug:. WHen I start a run its the hardest thing to ever do but when I finish a long run with a great time like today Im the happiest person ever. So if Im not consistent Im sorry but my goal is to run while Im doing the ChaLean videos for the next three months. Then decide in Jan if Im going to run the St. Louis Spirit Mini again. I just fear for my knees but thats my goal for now.
Back to today Nov 1st! If I have great running days like this I will be running a marathon soon...haha...j/k! No but I use my phone because it has a GPS system and an application that can track my runs. According to my phone I ran 6miles in 54:43 mins (pace 9:06) and burned 666 calories. My time is down from last wks 6miler which was 57:11 mins. I think it was due to some boy passing me and for about a half a mile I was trying to keep up with his stride...haha the competitive nature in me!!! I was so happy with my time :carrot::carrot::carrot:
Im really stoked about being here and excited to get to know you all!!! It seems like you all do a lot of races so I might look into doing some...I know it will def keep me motivated to continue to run

MBN 11-02-2009 07:14 AM

In the October thread, y'all were talking about hydration strategies and how to carry fluids. I have friends that simply carry a small water bottle in their hands and refill frequently during our long runs. There are ample drinking fountains where we run along the ocean, so that is feasible.

Personally, I absolutely HATE carrying anything in my hands, so that doesn't work for me. I prefer a fanny pack water bottle holder. I tried a Camelback fanny pack version, but didn't like it because it tended to leak and the tube and bite valve was kind of annoying. I found a simple hiking fanny pack with a zip pocket and one water bottle holder at the back. It cinches tight enough that it doesn't shift around when I run and pocket holds my car keys and stuff.

I don't take any fluids for races. I've always found ample water and gatorade stops at the races, so why carry the extra weight. I have a very small, neoprene waist pack that is just large enough for car keys, cliff blocks and chapstick. I usually gear check so I will have a change of clothes when I'm done and a jacket if it's chilly.

EveLHaelf 11-02-2009 07:37 AM

bablou, congrats on your improved time! I want to do the chalean videos as well along with my running. I've asked Santa to get them for me along with some select tech dumbells ;)

skinny jeans, I read somewhere else that you were thinking about getting the chalean videos. Have you decided to get them? How are they working for you? Thanks for the cold advice. I hate being too warm and only wear a coat outside when it's FREEZING so I will definitely take your advice and dress a bit lighter.

MBN, for my bigger race coming up in june I wasn't planning on taking any extra fluids either. They will be having water and gatorade every 2 miles and 'gu' at mile 6 so i think I should be fine.

Ladies, it is official! Last night I registered! I am officially racing in the "See Jane Run Half Marathon"!!!! I am sooo stoked! I've never had that gu stuff before and I'm wondering if I may need more that just the one at mile six since this will be my first major distance. Should I bring some of my own?

Fat Pants 11-02-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveLHaelf (Post 2996653)

skinny jeans, I read somewhere else that you were thinking about getting the chalean videos. Have you decided to get them? How are they working for you? Thanks for the cold advice. I hate being too warm and only wear a coat outside when it's FREEZING so I will definitely take your advice and dress a bit lighter.

I did end up ordering the ChaLEAN program. Last week was my first week and I lost 1.6 lbs and 3.5 inches sooo I gues you could say I'm a believer. I really believe that in order for the program to help you lose weight, you must pepper in cardio days... the program tends to be light on cardio so on my rest days or "interval" days with the program, I use those for my run days. I have really been able to tell a difference with my leg strength just in the first week. Now if I could transfer this to my races, I'd be so happy! :D

blueridgegirl 11-02-2009 09:27 AM

Happy november everybody!

EveL - way to go on registering for the half marathon! You're committed to this now!

MK - congrats on the pull up! Rock on! That is one of my long term goals. At the gym they have a machine where you can do an assisted pull up by assuming of the body weight by pressing down on a lever with your feet, and I can do a pull up of about half my body weight, but it a long-term goal for me to do an unassisted one. Wow - you are a real inspiration! You have achieved a lot in a year and a half!

I am headed to the gym for an hour nia class followed by an hour of yoga, and then will hit the treadmill again tomorrow. Scale is not moving, but I've decided just not to focus on that number but rather on things I can control because it's just too disempowering to be so focused on the scale.

Alright, everybody, let's make it a great month!

mkroyer 11-02-2009 10:14 AM

Todays run-- interval/track w/o on treadmill. 6 X 800 meters 400 meters RI. Warm up/cool down Total mileage 5.75 mi
Pace 3:12 per 800 meter (or a 6:24 min/mile pace)
GODAWFULL!! It was SO HARD. i *should* be running my 800s at a 6:40ish pace, but becuz im trying to kick it into high gear for the next 6 weeks, im stepping up ALL my paces on ALL my runs...... It was HARD...... it was the first time in a LONG time when i thought my legs were going to die, and my lungs were going to explode, etc..wow...guess that means i have to push that hard all the time, i mean, thats how im going to get better/faster.

On a side note...i am currently enjoying a SALAD...for BREAKFAST......weird, yet satisfying....... put dried fruits, nuts and dry oatmeal on it to make it more "breakfasty". Also made a dressing out of cottage cheese, plain yogurt, and this berry flavored whey protein mix......

Nada 11-02-2009 10:55 AM

Re: dressing for cold weather runs. One of my friends went to Goodwill before her half marathon and bought things to layer with. Then when she pulled things off at the water stations as she got warm, she told them that the things came from Goodwill and could be donated. I'm going to do that this year. Last year I had on a jacket I liked and consequently burned up! No fun and I'm sure my time reflected that.

dancerindenver 11-02-2009 01:35 PM

mk - your breakfast salad description was pretty funny!

fatpants - do you throw your tights in the dryer or line dry them? The directions say no dryer but was curious if you had broken the rules at all.

Sounds like everyone's doing well and running like crazy! I'm going to have to get one of those fannypack/water bottle gizmos when it gets warm again here but I think I'm okay through the winter as I pretty much don't get thirsty on cold runs. Just got a nike drifit l/s shirt for layering for cold days - only $12 at ROSS.

Do any of you guys wear those reflective vests when you run? With it so dark morning and evening now, I'm thinking I may have to break one out.

mkroyer 11-02-2009 02:42 PM

Dancer--this is going to sound counterintuitive--but, when i run in the early am, always the early am, always pitch dark, i NEVER wear a reflective vest. Couple of reasons.... If i have to run in the street i always run AGAINST traffic, so i can ALWAYS see a car coming LONG before it gets close to me...it being so dark i see the headlights first, ya know? and SECOND, when i am out running alone, that early in the morning, as a female, if no one even notices i am out there, i consider that a good thing!! A reflective vest just screams at 4 am "Here i am!! Look at me!! All Alone!!"..... If i were riding a bike it would be different..... thats my 2 cents

BTW, breakfast salad= very filling....

dancerindenver 11-02-2009 03:18 PM

mk - thanks for the interesting thought - that gives me a different perspective. Do you run with earphones? I'm guessing you're faster than any of the bad guys out there so maybe you feel safe even in the dark.

mkroyer 11-02-2009 03:47 PM

i do run with earphones......an d i AM Scared sometimes.....and i DO realize im faster than any drunk creep!!! :)