Has this ever happened to anyone?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok so I hope I'm in the right place 1st of all! Before I ask my question I wanted to say that I have never jogged in my whole life and I decided to try n start last week so I was doing the c25k thingy n it was **** the 1st day I could barely get thru 30 seconds without stoping but I kept going and after a day of rest I did it again n I felt better that I was able to go a whole minute without stopping and actualy gettn thru that made me feel great despite the headache the 1st 2 days and the scale went down so I was thrilled! I kept up with it n did the jog/walk thingy for 3 days in a row and saturday night (last time I did it) my knees were killing me big time I could barely sleep and the pain hasn't gone away but it isn't as bad as it was that night. So here's my question am I too heavy to jog? I am 5'3" and 222 lbs I knw u aren't doctors or anythn but I wanted to see if this has happened to any1 b4 ?
  • You're not too heavy to jog... I just think you need better shoes! What are you wearing on your feet? Have you had knee problems before?
  • Hmmm never thought it could be my shoes! I have nike ones and I knw they are WALKING SHOES lol I really hope that's it cuz I was enjoying my jogging!
  • Oh and I've only had a problem with one knee when the weather changes
  • You need good shoes- I thought I was doing good buying Nike but NOPE- ended up getting tendonitis.

My doctor told me about a place called Road Runner Sports. You go there, they have you walk on a touch sensitive pad, then run on a treadmill, then they measure your feet and so on then tell you the perfect type of shoes for you. I also buy the extra inserts for my feet they are AMAZING! I needed the extra arch support for sure.

Since I bought those shoes almost two years ago (I buy a new pair every 6 months) I have NEVER had any pain since.

Good shoes cost a lot but it's a lot cheaper than needing surgery because you wore the wrong shoes.

Oh to add my husband also gets these shoes- he has an issue with one knee as well but he's gotten these shoes and with physical therapy he rarely has pain.
  • I should look for a place like that. I dnt have an arch on my feet :/ Thank You I really dnt wana hurt myself so I guess I gotta take it easy til I get sum good shoes.
  • I found out that I'd been sized wrong my entire life. All my life I've been a 10, and when they sized me using a special machine I was a 10. The wonderful man at the shoe store discovered I was a 10.5. Go get fit... it's amazing what a difference it can make.
  • Same with me- I thought I was a 9. turns out I'm a 9.5!
  • They have some great insoles out there also, that you don't really need if you get a great pair of shoes, but most of the time, you've gotta spend a little extra cash for a great pair of shoes. My personal opinion is that Asics are the best running shoe out there. They are a little wider than a lot of shoes, and I find them the most comfortable, and they give a ton of spring to your step. Stay with the jogging or walking or whatever it is you want to do. Takes a couple weeks to get that habit going to where it is really hard to break.
  • The c25k program is great. Just keep at it even if you feel sore.

I have really bad knees so for a long time I couldn't get myself to jog/run, but I did get on the elliptical which made it much easier on the legs. I used the elliptical 4 times a week until I started losing weight, then slowly transitioned to jogging on the treadmill.
  • Yup! It's ALL about the shoes! I had all sorts of problems with Nike and reeboks but when I got myself some New Balance running shoes, I've had no more problems at all. I only spent $60 for them on sale too!
  • Yep. Get fitted. I was fitted with a couple of different shoes and I bought the cushier ones because they didn't have the others in the half size that I needed. Mistake! The cushier ones were too cushy. So I bought the firmer ones just recently and am much, much happier. Like others, I am a 1/2 size bigger in running shoes than in normal shoes, so don't be suprised if you find that to be true.

BTW....I was 222 pounds when I started running as well. It just gets easier as you get lighter, but no I do not think you are too heavy. Just be sure to take care of those knees!
  • cherry7211 in the beginning if your body is complaining a lot its probably better to give your body at least a day or two of rest in between sessions. Also if your not ready to move on I'd repeat the first week until your body is okay with it. Plus like the others mentioned... GOOD SHOES are important.

Your body will likely be stiff and sore the first week or two this does go away.

You're not too heavy there are quite a few of us who started between 200 and 250. I restarted at 240 myself.
  • Quote: ... My personal opinion is that Asics are the best running shoe out there. They are a little wider than a lot of shoes, and I find them the most comfortable, and they give a ton of spring to your step...
    Actually, I found them to be the opposite size wise. They run narrower than other brands. I tried 3 to 4 different style Asics cross trainers and every one of them was snug on my feet...even when going a size bigger. And, I don't have wide feet.

Cherry, definitely go to a running store and get yourself fitted. The right shoes made a lot of difference. Also, if you, for any reason don't find the running shoes you bought comfortable you can take them back for another pair. And, I do have a right knee problem as well and initially when I started running or walking I wore a knee brace. It helped a lot in the beginning. You might want to consider investing in a good quality brace as well. I bought mine from the running store.
  • ASICS messed up my feet something fierce, but we are all different. I persoanlly run in Mizunos....there is someone at the mizuno factory that has my exact foot i think!!