Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Can you hurt your back by tiring your legs?

So I went hiking Sunday... haven't done any serious hiking all year and I had to push myself. Leg muscles were screaming, but I made it and felt pretty good about that.

But yesterday morning, my back went wonky. It was feeling a little better today until I went to carry my laptop (which weighs more than a battleship) home and it went wonky again. I'm planning on just resting it, but my question is was the back problem caused by my sore legs? Did stressing those muscles lead to my funky back?
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Sure. I have problems that tend to move around between hamstrings, hips, lower back, and sometimes even higher in the back. When you're feeling a bit better, I recommend hamstring stretches. Having healthy hamstrings is one of the best ways I protect my back. In the meantime, you might try ice packs and naproxen -- that's what works best for me.
gardenerjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I second what gardenjoy recommends, stretching out can help. a bad back can also be from a weak core muscles. if you don't already, exercises like planks can help strengthen all around your core and support your back.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #4  

Definately.I actually herniated a disk in my lumber spine by doing leg extensions on a weight machine.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Yes, it is my lower back. Thanks for all the tips! I suspected it was related to hiking since it happened the next morning. It's a little better again, but stairs are a problem. Luckily I can work from home so I don't have to lug that laptop to work today!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

also, make sure you wear appropriate shoes when hiking. enough support, the right fit, etc.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote