Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 186/151.8/125

Height: 5'3 and a bump =}

Onderchic,

How on earth did you quit smoking, diet and excercised all at once? That is unbelievable discipline!!

I'm trying to quit smoking myself. I am actually disgusted by it, let alone what it is doing to my health, but, at the same time, totally addicted!!
madison27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #17  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Onder,
What about strength/resistance training the entire body 3 days a week and cardio the other 3 with a day of rest.
From previous experience with a lot of cardio or the same weight training routine your body eventually adjusts and nothing happens. Mixing it up keeps the body guessing.
Madison27 just posted about a P90X challenge. It is 90 days cardio and weight training.

Last edited by borntobefine; 08-20-2009 at 06:15 AM.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #18  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I agree, you are doing well workout wise. And, breaking it up in sessions is pretty good. Also, from what I have read, you want to workout what you can keep up for the rest of your life. So, if you workout 5 times/week now think ahead and see if you can keep doing it for the rest of your life.

Last month or so, I made changes to my workout. I became more consistent and I am working out 6 times/week. I'm doing weight training 3 times/week and cardio 3 times/week. I break 1 day/week. I want to do this for few months and re-evaluate myself. Also, as you continue to workout & get fitter you tend to get faster or more efficient rather (I'm assuming) so it might take less time to do the same stuff.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Onder, I think if you want to do a 5 day split I would recommend a 4 day split, you could split it up this way :

d1 - lower body - squats, lunges -- you can do a variety of lunges, front, back, side, walking... I'm not sure if you're at a gym but if you are you can do leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, all these are on a machine, but there are alternatives, you can look them up on line...
d2 - chest and triceps
d3 - back and biceps
d4 - shoulders, abs and core

Do 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps, if you can do more than 12 reps it's time to go heavier, if you can't do 6 reps go lighter on the weight...
If you are working out at home you can use a ball, some resistance band both fairly cheap... 5, 8, 10 lbs dumbells are cheap too ...
Then start day one again... by this time you've had 3 days rest from doing day 1. You'll see results even if you only work one body part per week, but the intensity must be there... Don't be afraid to go heavy on weight training, women can NOT bulk, if it were so easy to bulk up wouldn't it be easier to tone, and we all know that toning isn't that easy... So don't be shy with going heavier when it comes to weight training.

In the Weight and Resistance Training section there is a Resistance Band Workout
which you may find interesting...

As for the cardio part of your workout eventually you'll need to step up the intensity, I don't know how you could do that with Wii Fit though, as I have no idea how that works ...

Hope this heps, ask more questions if you're more confused now than ever
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #20  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks everyone.

As for my "equipment", I have a weight bench set thingy which I posted about here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...eight-set.html

and I have hand weights - 5, 10 and 20 pounds. Right now I am struggling to use the 10s

I do have a stability ball but I guess because I rarely make use of it, I really don't like it much.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #21  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison27 View Post
Onderchic,

How on earth did you quit smoking, diet and excercised all at once? That is unbelievable discipline!!

I'm trying to quit smoking myself. I am actually disgusted by it, let alone what it is doing to my health, but, at the same time, totally addicted!!

I was a dedicated 2 pack a day smoker for 21 years. Not to seem flaky or anything but just being honest here - I read a book by Allen Carr, "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". Now, I am not endorsing the book or saying it some miracle solution, all I can tell is what my experience was. I read the book...took me about a month because I kept putting it off and putting it off. When I finished reading it entirely, it was at 10:30pm. At 1am I had a cigarette and then I just never had another. I have not, thankfully, had any cravings or withdrawals. My boyfriend still smokes but he does so outside now and not from fear that I will want one but because the smell truly disgusts me now.

As far as not turning to food when I quit smoking, as I didn't really experience any cravings and the such but my hands were "empty" more than usual, lol so for me I just busied myself. I read a book or play games on the net, work puzzles, take a relaxing bath, give myself a manicure or pedicure, read blogs on the net...anything that will distract me and my mind from food.

Just like with weight loss, quitting smoking takes dedication and determination and it CAN be done without pills, patches or hypnosis...just as weight loss can be achieved without those as well . I wish you all the success with weight loss and quitting smoking.

Hugs
Michelle

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #22  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
...I do have a stability ball but I guess because I rarely make use of it, I really don't like it much.
I did my ab workout with the stability ball before I switched to ab ripperX. I felt my abs getting more work using the ball than doing it on the floor. I know keeping it steady is tricky. I often got annoyed with it cuz the ball kept rolling sometimes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #23  
Resident Pixie

Thanks pintobean, I may give it a shot again
Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #24  
Resident Pixie

Oh and I think I may do full body weight/strength 3 days a week. Not quite sure yet but we'll see
Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #25  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
Oh and I think I may do full body weight/strength 3 days a week. Not quite sure yet but we'll see
Awesome!!
That's what I do. PM me your email if you want to see my routines. I can email you my excel sheet if you're interested.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #26  
Resident Pixie

You rock pintobean. I may ask you to marry me I am pming now.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #27  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
You rock pintobean. I may ask you to marry me I am pming now.
Isn't it illegal here to have more than 1 spouse? You should have asked me 4 yrs ago
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #28  
Resident Pixie

Aww darnit . I will settle for using you for routines then