Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default I have a semi-dumb question...

There are so many theories out there on the best way to exercise for losing weight. I am doing tons of cardio, about 5 hours a week. I'm unsure on weights and toning. Should I wait and lose some weight before I start on that? Or does it help you along? I know there is no point in working too hard on abs until some of the tummy flab is gone.

Last night my Zumba teacher encouraged me to stay for the hour long weightlifting class after. I was pretty sure it would cause my death so I declined, but now I'm wondering if I should start.
Noniegrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #2  
Workin' It

It helps you as you go along, in my experience at least. I wish I had started sooner, actually. I didn't really focus on weights until I was close to goal weight. In retrospect, it is never too soon to start! Check out the Weight & Resistance Training section, there are some discussions there that might answer some of your questions.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lifting weights, particularly heavy weights, will help you lose weight faster. Not only does lifting burn calories while you're doing it, but if you work consistently at it and build muscle (it takes some time, but it can be done!) your body will burn more calories when you're just sitting around because muscle is more metabolically active.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #4  

When I started working out with the weight machines for an hour or so 3-4 times a week, it toned me up really fast and made it appear as if I had lost a LOT more weight than I actually had.

I noticed a difference within a couple of weeks. I used to think the toning and weights were a waste of time but I'm a believer now.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Next time, definitely stay for the weight lifting session after your Zumba. If you are too exhausted, you can leave in the middle. Just do whatever you can handle and you will see that little by little, you will be handle the entire length of the class (if not right from the beginning).
And no worries, you will live. :-)
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Weight-training in and of itself is the best thing that I've done on this health journey.

I started March 9, 2009, with 2x per week sessions with a personal trainer. I am lifting 100% more weight than when I started, my back (injured in a car accident) is so much better, plus I can do 3 sets of 17 squats (body weight only, but I'm happy with that for now). I also do cardio 3-4x per week also, but the weight training is where I see the benefits. Plus my balance is way better. It's hard, and the trainer kicks my butt, and that makes me feel really good (afterward!)

I am older, post-menopausal and hypothyroid, so the weight is coming off slowly. But I see now that it is the interaction amongst many things that will make this a way of positive way of life -- portion size, what I eat, weight-training, cardio, psychology (I read a lot on this subject, listen to tapes, etc.), posting on 3FC, I just got a GoWear Fit for even more feedback.

Of them all, I think the weight training is the one where I feel most positive because it is something I have never done before and really didn't feel I would be able to do, but I can.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #7  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I started with pilates and then when I decided to go back to gym, I did cardio, free weights and some machines.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You definitely don't have to wait to start with weight training, it's beneficial at all times.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

the expression i hear is "muscle burns fat"
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noniegrace View Post
There are so many theories out there on the best way to exercise for losing weight. I am doing tons of cardio, about 5 hours a week. I'm unsure on weights and toning. Should I wait and lose some weight before I start on that? Or does it help you along? I know there is no point in working too hard on abs until some of the tummy flab is gone.

Last night my Zumba teacher encouraged me to stay for the hour long weightlifting class after. I was pretty sure it would cause my death so I declined, but now I'm wondering if I should start.
Actually, I'd have to disagree with you on the abs comment. If you don't work on your abs until the tummy fat is gone, you'll just be thin with no definition. But if you work ALL your muscles every week, regardless of how much fat you have on your body, once you lose the weight all that work will show through. So it is DEFINITELY not pointless! I would encourage you to start .
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

It's never pointless to be stronger!
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Ditto -- don't wait!! If you can build a little muscle at the same time that you are losing fat, you will see results much quicker and be stronger and healthier in the end. Strong muscles help you with your cardio work, and your daily life activities too.

An hour of resistance training may seem like a lot at first, but just start with the lightest weights and get your "form" right. Once you see how it's done, then you can progressively increase your weights to keep challenging your muscles. If you work everything and build some muscle --then when the fat DOES decrease, those muscles will start to show and you'll have that envied toned and lean look.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #13  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Plus doing weights will take off inches while toning...so you will see results quicker then just doing cardio.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #14  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Don't forget to work out the chest too. Chest exercises help give a man a nice physique, but working out the chest can help women too, by lifting sagging breasts. I swear by lifting weights.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #15  
thin girl in me wants out

S/C/G: 193/189/132

I do an all-round workout three times a week. I find it gives nice steady progress in everything without focussing on any particular areas more than the others. Mine is focussed around back-strengthening (my breasts NEVER lost weight, so I my poor back needs some help). I don't do anything too intensive and I've found the progress is still very noticeable.
gretchen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote