Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #1  

Default The Right To Bare Arms - Inspired by our First Lady!

OK most of my exercise is focused on my lower body but Michelle O has def inspired me go get in some kind of strengh training routine for my arms. I do have some never-used light weights, what I don't have is a weight bench nor do I have room for one.

Does anybody do upper body exercises with dumbells just standing or sitting on a regular bench?
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I do them sometimes just laying on the floor.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Wow--yes, she has encouraged me too. I am doing push ups, and strength training DVD's--30 day Shred to be exact. Michelle O has beautiful arms--that sounds odd doesn't it? LOL
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #4  
FB

Sure! You don't need a bench for great strength training. I spend a lot of time with dumbbells at the gym - not so much with a bench (mostly use it for chest exercises). Some people also use exercise balls in place of a bench - but I prefer to focus all of my energy on the lift - not balancing.

Anyhow, just search different moves for arms on the net and you'll see that a bench, while helpful, certainly is not a requirement.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #5  

Oh a ball, like one of those inflatable dealies?? HEY THAT'S AN IDEA! I think I can fit that on a closet shelf.....yeah I have this really detailed weight training book (as they say on ebay RARELY USED, lol!) and the routine in it mostly deals with reclining on an angle...I think I'm gonna get one of those, they have them at Target, thanks for the tip!

I actually read an article somewhere that said, most women miss the boat on targeting their back, shoulders, and arms b/c when you get to be my advanced age, the whole buns 'o steel power abs stuff gets a unrealistic, but if you keep up with the arm stuff, you CAN have really nice arms in a relatively short time....say by this summer! I'M ON IT!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #6  

I love the official Michelle O portrait! I love the modern look to it that she is not in some blousey thing or jacket with shoulder pads or the usual political wife gear.

Realistically being in my 40's & having had a couple of kids & weight fluctuations my whole adult life, bikini days are pretty much over for me -- but I mught just be able to dust off some sleeveless stuff this summer if I start now!

http://flypaper.bluefly.com/Michelle...g_FlyPaper.jpg
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've started 30DS, so I get strength training there, and I'm continuing to do lifting with the Nautilus machine at the gym I go to. I've got a lot of upper arm definition for sure. My arms have changed a lot since the summer/fall warmer months when I wore sleeveless shirts a lot. I put one on over the weekend and my husband freaked out about how my arms look. Oh, and I can do more push ups than he can, too!!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #8  
FB

Yeppy K8 - an inflatable ball! As for your book - doing declined bench exercises hits the muscles from different angles or targets different parts of them. You'll find that most can be adjusted to a straight horizontal position instead. You'll get results either way.

I'd worry about decline stuff later, if at all, depending on your goals. I mostly do declines for my chest and triceps, those exercises can all be adjusted for different angles - the decline is just a variation.

Maybe I misread though and you're talking about inclines? Either way. Inclines on a ball would probably be easier than declines. I had all sorts of funny images flashing through my mind, trying to picture myself doing a declined angle on a bouncy ball! Perhaps I'll try sometime! I use my ball for a desk chair and abs. Love it.

Last edited by FB; 03-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #9  

OMG! 149 pounds??? Whatever you say, I'll do it! OMG that is fantastic. I love your avatar! HEY SKINNY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB View Post
Yeppy K8 - an inflatable ball! As for your book - doing declined bench exercises hits the muscles from different angles or targets different parts of them. You'll find that most can be adjusted to a straight horizontal position instead. You'll get results either way.

I'd worry about decline stuff later, if at all, depending on your goals. I mostly do declines for my chest and triceps, those exercises can all be adjusted for different angles - the decline is just a variation.

Maybe I misread though and you're talking about inclines? Either way. Inclines on a ball would probably be easier than declines. I had all sorts of funny images flashing through my mind, trying to picture myself doing a declined angle on a bouncy ball! Perhaps I'll try sometime! I use my ball for a desk chair and abs. Love it.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I love the Michelle O sleeveless look too. The upper body/abs instructor at my gym likes to say, "Shoulders are the new abs." LOVE it.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote