3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   how did you start running (when losing weight)? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/163092-how-did-you-start-running-when-losing-weight.html)

teawithsunshine 01-30-2009 02:58 AM

how did you start running (when losing weight)?

Hi---

I'm brainstorming different kinds of aerobic exercise that I can do to continue to challenge myself and hopefully delay a plateau as long as I can ;) And running seems to be one way, since like walking, it really doesn't cost anything in terms of machine equipment :D

I have three questions in regards to becoming a runner:

1. How did you start running? (i.e. as in like only thirty seconds the first week, then a minute, then 2 minutes.... etc).
2. How did you avoid injuries when starting out?
3. why do some people on this forum say you should only run every other day (i.e. a full workout say anywhere from thirty to forty-five minutes) and others run six miles five days a week?

I'm interested in becoming a runner (granted in small steps first!) but I see comments where people say you shouldn't run every day (since it's a high impact form of exercise) to those who say they run 5-6 days a week.

who is right?

*confused*

~ tea

Rachellia 01-30-2009 03:09 AM

Hey! Good question. I started by walking a few minutes to warm up, then running as long as I could without feeling like I was on the verge of a heart attack (but huffing and puffing and sweating for certain) before slowing back down again to walk another few minutes and then repeating the process for about an hour.

I started out only being able to run for about 45 seconds, now I can sustain it for several minutes (mind-you, this is a full run, not a jog).

That said, I doubt I'll ever try to run my entire time on the treadmill because there are so many studies showing that doing speed intervals is much more effective for boosting calorie burn and cardio fitness. So far it appears to be working for me, I did a 13.5 minute mile today, whereas two weeks ago it took me more than 15 minutes.

BlueToBlue 01-30-2009 03:29 AM

I just got out there and ran as far as I could, then walked a bit to recover, ran some more, walked a bit, ran some more, until I felt like I'd done enough for the day. After the first couple of times that I ran, I had an idea of what I could manage and I had a route figured out. Then I just concentrated on trying to run a little more and walk a little less. I didn't run all out, I ran at a pace that I could maintain for 10 to 15 minutes.

In terms of running every day vs. every other day, I think it is really depends on what your body can handle. I simply can't run every day. I have chronic overuse injuries now in both knees, problems with my hip flexor, shin splints, and other miscellaneous aches and pains in my legs, all largely from running. If I tried to run every day, I simply wouldn't be able to do it. I made the mistake of running intervals two days in a row a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to run since then. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to it.

I too read about people who can run every day, sometimes very significant mileage, and I have to just assume that their bodies are built differently than mine. My local paper featured a guy who runs 10 miles every day and has been doing so for practically all his adult life. I couldn't run ten miles in a single day, ever. Six miles is my max before some body part starts to give out.

If you want to run every day, go ahead and try it. You'll figure out pretty quick if it's something your body can handle.

TJFitnessDiva 01-30-2009 08:21 AM

I started with the C25K program :) It had you warm up walking them jogging/walking in intervals & the jogging slowly got longer the more you did it.

I run 5 days a week, two days a week I only run for 30 mins (I do free strength training afterward) but the other three I am running for about 50 mins. Lately it's been on a treadmill so it's a little softer than running on the ground.

To help avoid injury, try to run as upright as you can....it also helps to keep your breathing even.

sws19 01-30-2009 09:47 AM

i think it's best to start slow and with small goals, though being sure to still push yourself a little further each time. you don't want to coddle yourself. however, the mistake i made in trying to get back on the running horse several times in the last few years was setting unrealistic goals for myself based on how much i used to be able to run. needless to say, that only led to disappointment, avoidance, and failure. just remember, however little or slow you go, it's better than the nothing you would otherwise be doing, so that's a win. but make sure to go a little bit harder/farther/longer the next time.

MBN 01-30-2009 10:34 AM

Ditto with what others have said -- I started out with run/walk intervals. At first it was mostly walking with a little jogging, later it was more and more jogging, until finally I could run nonstop. The trick is to not try to run too fast when you run. Just try a slow jog at first. Most people try to go too fast, get out of breath and get discouraged. If you build up slowly, the improvements will come quicker than you think they will.

Personally, I don't recommend running every day. It is a high impact activity and it takes time (and recovery periods) for your body to adapt to it. Not to mention that too much of the same thing can get boring after a while. I know I do better when I run some days, and cross train with complementary activities on the other days (strength training, yoga, kayaking, etc). Walking isn't as hard on you, so I don't see any reason not to walk every day. But when you start to transition to more running, then that increases the stresses on your joints, muscles, ligaments and such. Running every single day is a recipe for injury, IMHO. But then, everyone is different .....

Please be sure to go to a running store and get properly fitting shoes. And stretch!

nelie 01-30-2009 10:37 AM

I actually did a formal program by a local running store. They had a beginners 5k training program I joined. I'd recommend looking at something like C25k.

Shannon in ATL 01-30-2009 10:51 AM

I second the good shoes recommendation. I ran the first couple of times with my old shoes and was miserable. I'm still working with the running store on getting the right fit to my shoe, but even with some minor fit issues my legs are much happier with the good shoes. After the runs in the bad shoes I could barely move...

Leeesa 01-30-2009 11:03 AM

There are lots of training programs out there, alot of them start with 1 min on and 1 min off and then increasing the on/off minutes, then increasing just the on minutes until there aren't any off minutes left. I find it helpful to set a distance goal, like 5 k or 10 k, then look up a training program for that distance, there's heaps of them out there. It also keeps things interesting as you aren't just "running" when you're training for these things, there's different kinds of runs you do each week, like speedplay, hill repeats, that sort of thing. The amount of running you do is dependent on your goals, from a fitness standpoint, I don't think running every day will benefit you more than running say 3 or 4 times a week, I think running every day will just end up causing undue stress on your joints etc. If you look up training programs even for entire marathons, none of them will advise running every day. I think it's good to mix it up, run 3 or 4 x a week and do some weights a few days a week. Setting goals is the big motivation, I've completed a number of 10 ks, a few triathlons and my most recent accomplishment was a half-marathon using this strategy. Good luck and happy running!

MonteCristo 01-30-2009 11:22 AM

This is the program I used when I started running.

http://www.runningplanet.com/trainin...r-program.html

GradPhase 01-30-2009 01:42 PM

C25K!!! And get the podcasts!!!!

JulieJ08 01-30-2009 02:25 PM

I did C25K also.

I also say get excellent shoes, fitted by a store with a treadmill.

fiberlover 01-30-2009 02:52 PM

I did the C25K with time, not distance. I knew that trying to do 3 miles in 30 minutes in 9 weeks would make me not want to complete the program. So, I did the program and after 9 weeks I was running about 2 miles in 30 minutes.

I then just worked at increasing my speed a little bit each week, and now I run 3 miles in under 30 min!

Eves 01-30-2009 04:49 PM

I also did the C25K program, although since I was living in a small town in a third world country mine included doggie landmines, darting children, drunks, and random animals that would always screw up my times while running.

In any case, now, more than a year after the program I run 3-4 miles about four times a week. I highly recommend the program!

mblizzow 01-30-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonteCristo (Post 2584989)
This is the program I used when I started running.

this looks good i have been wanting to start running for a while now, i was running in a dream that i had, i will definitely start this on tues. as i dont want to start in the middle of the plan, i will let everyone know how it goes. mostly i havent been out cause it has been really cold.:brr: