Exercise & Appetite

• In my previous life as a runner I used to be one of those people who would be so famished after a run and just eat to no end. Needless to say the weight loss benefits of running weren't as abundant in my life then.

Since I've started eating clean that is no longer the case. For some reason I don't come home after a long run and pound the broccoli, brown, rice, and tofu with the same vigor I used to the oreos, twizzlers, ice-cream and such. Leading me to believe it was somewhat mental. I believed I deserved a sugary fatty treat and probably wasn't as hungry physically as I perceived mentally.

I think this probably is the case with other forms of vigorous exercise as well. When you sweat a lot and put in a big effort I suppose its somewhat natural to feel you deserve a reward. Anyways just my experience, I'm sure someone can relate.
  • When I started to exercising and trying to lose weight back in the spring, I was famished. I ate more than I should have, probably. Now that my body is accustomed to exercising more intensely on a regular basis, my appetite has evened out. It may also be that when you're craving food it might actually be something else. Often when I think I'm craving something, I'm actually thirsty--especially if I'm exercising more. Try drinking a glass of water and waiting 10 minutes. It might take care of it--and drinking more water is good for you anyway. Then again, you might, like me, eat the snack you already made anyway.
  • I hope that's true! I've been exercising, but not with high intensity. I'm working toward longer runs, and adding in some resistance training - I guess I'll see what effect it has on my appetite