Need some help.

• So here's my problem...
    I joined planet fitness and it really sounded great...free trainer guidance and all. I don't really think this is working for me though. Before I started working out I had been a couch potato. Literally all I did was walk to the car to go to work. Now I agree on starting with 30 minutes of cardio five days a week but with the weightlifting...I do ten reps at one weight, add weight and do 8, add weight and do six. The day after I do this (Especially with the upper body days) I feel completely paralyzed ...I need help from someone to get me a good set of stretches and how many reps I should be doing...ect. I know it's a lot to ask but I really can't afford a personal trainer right now. Can anyone help me?
  • Well it's pretty normal to feel sore after your first several workouts, but you shouldn't do so much that you can't move because you hurt so much. Your body will get used to it fast though - especially if you're lifting weights. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll build strength and stamina.

I would recommend that you check out one of the following books:
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Body for Life

Both of them have the same general focus on lifting and building strength and they both have series of workouts that you can do that start out slow and build up.

Good luck to you!

• The Biggest Loser Fitness Book also has a lot of great circuit routines that will leave you feeling like you have accomplished a lot, and you will be a little sore the next day, but not to the point of paralysis. If you bring out the big guns and go balls to the wall with exercise all at once, you will not be happy, you will probably quit before you get very far, and you will have wasted your time. I am a huge believer in starting small, 30 minutes a day is a good amount of time, but build some endurance first. Then you can add more difficult activities as you get stronger. It seems like you are doing too much, too soon.