Sick & can't exercise

• Hi everyone... I mainly need a little support to keep myself from doing something stupid.

I have an upper respiratory infection, have been sick since Monday, finally went to the doctor today. I exercised Monday before I started showing symptoms, Tuesday even though I was a little congested (and actually felt a lot better for a few hours), didn't do anything yesterday. I felt horrible and could barely walk downstairs to drive to work, much less work out. Today I went to the doctor and got a steroid shot, feel kind of out of it but wanted to exercise. So, did a 35 minute cardio yoga video. I know it is plenty for today, but I feel myself wanting to go back in and do more to make up for yesterday. I tend to be very goal oriented and am pretty hard on myself if I feel I'm not staying on track. I also tend to overdo and find myself regretting it later. Trying hard not to do that today.

What do you guys do when you are sick? Am I better off to rest the rest of today and try some light cardio in the morning?
  • Aw Shannon! Those upper resp things just suck. I usually get one every spring and fall ... knock wood, I've avoided one this year.

Rest, girl! Take a break and don't beat yourself up. Try the cardio yoga again in the morning (I was going to suggest something like that anyway - that wasn't too overpowering).

Take it slow and let yourself heal.

• Yes, rest! I was sick most of last week and knew I had to take it easy, otherwise I wouldn't get better. Now, I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't put any on either. In the end, I was happy with my decision.
  • No need to stress your body further, esp as it's a respiratory infection. A few days off won't hurt. One as goal-oriented as you will be right back on track as soon as you feel better. Lots of rest and liquids will help you feel better soon.
  • Thanks guys! I figure I'll be able to get back on track once I get better, hopefully I won't overdo then and wind up sick again!

I just keep telling myself if I miss a day I don't have to do extra the next day to make up for it, just take it in stride...