Exercises to do during TV

• Hi, I tried to find a thread like this but didn't really suceed. I was wondering if there were any good exercises to do while I'm watching Tv at night, I figured thats a time where I don't really do anything and doing a few things during it might be a good idea.
  • For me, the only time I watch tv is when I exercise. I usually do weights/strength exercises. I also have an elliptical which helps.

You could do something like walk in place, jumping jacks, or similar for cardio type workout.

Do you have weights/resistance bands/etc?
  • Jumping jacks, lunges, push ups, squats. Sometimes i'll lift weights during the commercial breaks. You could do sit ups, planks, run in place, jump rope. I have an elliptical that i use when i watch tv, makes the time go really fast.
  • You should check out Shape magazine. They have tons of suggestions for at home workouts.

I tend to do ab work when I'm watching tv.
  • I wish I had room for an exercise machine in my house, so I could watch tv while I workout. Instead, I just have to set aside time separate from tv time.
  • If you watch TV with someone else who might be disturbed by your exercise, you can just sit on a Swiss ball (feet of the floor, arms off the ball). Just trying to hold your balance is a great exercise for core muscles.
  • My dumbells and a band are permanent fixtures on the coffee table in our TV room.
  • Anything resistance or body weight works for me. Like Susan, I keep a set of dumbells, some resistance bands, and my swiss ball in the living room (tucked behind the sofa when not in use).

Pushups, situps, squats, stationary lunges, step ups (onto a dining room chair).

I also have a book of TaiChi stretches that I work through sometimes, especially after I've done a strenuous weight lifting workout at the gym. Sometimes just doing those long full stretches really feels good.

• i used to do step ups on a small step stool that i kept in my kitchen. it's a really good way to tone your legs. i didn't have any exercise equipment at the time so i improvised.
  • The way my living room is set up, my stair way banister side is parallel to my tv. It makes it easy to do some stair stepping and inclined pushups while enjoying the television.