3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Keep "tri"-ing triathlon chat! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/153150-keep-tri-ing-triathlon-chat.html)

paperclippy 03-22-2010 09:04 AM

Muse, I like your new avatar!

Thanks for the tips guys. I actually looked up some info on cycling online before my ride Saturday and realized I've been doing it totally wrong this whole time. ( :lol: Didn't I say the same thing about swimming a couple months ago? When will I find out I've been running wrong too?) I had been pedaling more slowly at the highest gears on my bike instead of pedaling faster at lower gears. So when I went out Saturday I switched to the lower gears, tried to pedal faster, and ended up going a little bit faster than I usually do. Score! I will definitely start incorporating intervals next, now that I know what I'm doing a little more.

I had a funny yay/boo moment yesterday. At the pool I swam a race distance to see how I've progressed. I did 550 yards, which is about 500m, in 15:38. At first, I was like, :woohoo: because in the race last August I did that same distance in 23:21. But then I was like :( because I looked it up and realized that even with that much of an improvement, 15:38 will still put me at the back of the pack. Sigh. I was hoping for a middle-of-the-pack speed. Still, going from 23:21 to 15:38 is a pretty big improvement. If I can improve my bike and run times as much I'll be in good shape.

Which one of you was it who is doing the half ironman? How's the training going?

Idealmuse 03-22-2010 11:29 PM

P.C. - My swim speed is similar... it is sorta back of the pack so I know what you mean, but depending on the race it's not the way way way back. Just keep at it... eventually we have to get better right? I think that's great progress you've made!

Peddling slower isn't always bad it's good way to build strength, but your right my understanding is it saves the legs and is a better use of energy to peddle faster in an easier gear for most of your rides.

I was/am the one doing the half IM in July (and full IM in Sept) training is going well so far... We haven't really ramped out our workouts yet, so it's not too hard yet. I've been training with my group for about 7 weeks now (gosh really? wow!) and I enjoy it. Although we are starting to ramp up the times just a bit. For example: I did a 1.5hr run this week and a 43mi bike (was only supposed to do 35 oops)

Aug - At least you have that nice CO scenery! Living in Chicago I had to invest in a treadmill for the wintertime. I don't mind it too much I just turn the TV on to pass the time.

paperclippy 04-02-2010 03:25 PM

How's everyone doing? Is your weather warmed up enough to train outside? It's been gorgeous here the past few days, but I've been taking it easy this week because DH and I are running a 5k this weekend. I haven't actually run 5k in a couple months but I've been doing 2.5 miles so it shouldn't be too bad. Hoping to beat 36 minutes this time.

Muse, a 1.5 hour run and a 43 mi bike sounds like a hard ramped up workout to me! :lol: I am totally impressed with your dedication to train for a half IM and an IM.

I think if I improve a lot at my sprint distance the next couple years, maybe, MAYBE, I might try to train for an Olympic. Or I might change my mind entirely and go for a different sport -- after all, I used to be into just running, then a friend said, "Oh, you should try triathlon" so I ended up here.

Random question -- do any of you have tips for how to avoid hand and wrist pain while biking? I have tendinitis in my wrists from repetitive stress injury (from typing at work) and after about 30 minutes on the bike, my wrists and hands start to hurt. My bike is an old road/mountain hybrid with flat handlebars.

Idealmuse 04-14-2010 09:46 PM

paperclippy -

How did the 5k go?

As far as the bike thing... I had the same issue when I was on a Hybrid/Moutain Bike. Gel Gloves only helped so much. I have a feeling my bike was just oversized and my core not strong enough.

When I switched to my road bike 2 years ago I had no further issues. I've done about 3.5 hours now of riding straight and still so far so good.

If you plan on sticking with your current bike I'd go talk to some folks at the bike shop. They may have some better suggestions for you.

Training is going well here... I'm on a build week and next week is our easy week. I'm like 150days out now from Ironman. So far I'm holding up well but the real long sessions are still to come. We are retesting our bike fitness next week so I'll get to see if I've progressed any.

Thinking about doing a organized ride that's this weekend. I've never done one before, but thought a chance of scenery might be nice.

Too bad we don't have more 3FC hanging out here in our little thread.

paperclippy 04-15-2010 08:46 AM

Muse, the 5k was good! 35:57, a new personal record for me. I'm schedule for another one this Saturday but I caught a cold so I probably won't be very fast (if I manage to run it at all).

I've been thinking about getting a road bike, but I'm not sure I want to invest the money in it.

Good luck with the bike fitness test!

paperclippy 05-07-2010 11:27 AM

Hey guys, I made us a new thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...ason-chat.html

Maybe we will get some more chat going!