Muscle Fatigue...ANYONE ELSE?????

• I recently started working out, well at least 3 weeks ago. Started by walking at the gym. Well I soon worked myself up to running 4 laps of the track (12 laps makes a mile).

Anyways I started getting really sore legs last week. I mean sore. They ache at night and when I am done my workout.

My roomate is a Massage Therapist and she says that I am over working my muscles and over doing myself. I didn't think simply walking would do this to me. So I am taking a few days off to let my muscles rest....

ANYONE else have this problem????? I would love to hear from you if so.......any advice would be great.

KiM

You can see "What I do for a Workout" on my website.
    www.geocities.com/kymgru2002
  • Kymgru,

You don't say how many times a week you do this but I imagine you are trying to do it most days?!?!

You also say that you didn't think WALKING would do this, but you say you are trying to RUN 4 laps!

Firstly, whatever the execise you ABSOLUTELY MUST take a day off in between exercise bouts. So you should vary what you do, try a walk one day, do muscles the next and back to walking on the third, and so on. If you don't you prevent your body from making the necessary adaptations to your exercise bouts.

Whatever you do your body needs to recover. This usually takes up to 48 hours.

Secondly, 3 weeks is no way near long enough to go from doing almost nothing to trying to run 4 laps of any length. Take it slowly. Wait until walking becomes a bore and just too easy (when you don't get a bit hot and sweaty or slightly out of breath). If 12 laps make a mile try varying the pace you walk it at. Warm up for 3 laps, walk a bit faster for 3 more, power walk for 3 more and then slow it back down for a final 3. Stretch and go! That's a mile! Repeat it. Make the 3 laps grow into 4 or 5. Add hand weights. Do side gallops, whatever takes your fancy, but build up to the run!

I hopethis is helpful!
    Stef (Lifestyle Activity Consultant and fellow overweight person).
  • Stef,

Thank you so much for your reply. My roomate has told me basically the same thing. We started this together and she never walks as long as I do.

I am taking today off also. I suppose I will go back tomorrow.
    Walk a mile and do my muscle training. If I decide to go Sunday I think I will just do the cross trainer. Or should I take the day off??????????

Thanks again....

KiM
  • I'm so glad that my thread made sense to you, and that your roommate and I aren't giving you conflicting advice.

You say you might go back tomorrow and do some walking and some weights. I would separate the two if I were you. Try doing a wholly aerobic and endurance day (that will be walking for about 30+ minutes). Then design an alternative day where you focus on muscle strength, perhaps including the cross trainer for short bouts (say 5 or 10 mins at a time).

This type of varied cross training will give your body the maximum variety of exercises to respond to whilst ensuring that you reduce the danger of injury and boredom! Don't worry if on your muscle days you do very little or no aerobic work. Short bouts can have positive health effects, and anyway it is the ACCUMULATED time you spend that gives the most long lived benefits. Also your body will respond differently to each way you exercise and that will help make sure you are benefitting all muscles and body systems.

Put as easily as I can, make sure you do lots of different stuff. Listen to your body - if it complains loudly listen and adapt your routine. Always let your body rest between bouts of similar exercise. Design it so's you enjoy it!!!!!!

Stef
  • Stef

Sorry it took me a while to respond, been a little busy.
    I am back to working out and I am taking it easy and no running yet. My legs are doing great, no problems what so ever.

I just wanted to say that I am really thankful to have been able to talk to you about this. I never expected someone with your experience and knowledge to respond to me...these forums are the BEST.....

Good luck with the new business and I will be in touch....

KiM
  • I totally agree with Stef .. can I add though that if anyone is exercising regularly then consider supplementing with 'Glutamine'. It's the BEST , it's an amino acid that's stripped from the muscle while exercising therefore results in muscle wastage and lower immune function. It'll prevent muscle wastage and also help muscle recovery and helps with muscle gain - the more muscle you have the more fat you burn!
  • s-t-r-e-t-c-h
    My calves get sore after doing aerobics, and sometimes during. I find it helps to bend over with legs straight, and reach for the floor. Don't bounce or force, just stretch and hold until you feel your muscles relax a bit.
  • calf stretches
    Parrot Lady,

the calf stretch is really important at the end of any exercise session. But the one you describe is a bit full on and can't be controlled very well,especially if you have no athletic background.

May I offer up a more gentle, controlled version?

Standing:
    Step one foot back, as far as is comfortable, keeping the heel on the floor.
    Keep the front knee directly over the front ankle.
    Lean forward a little teeny bit, imagine your leg and back forming a perfectly straight line from ankle to head.
    Check that both of your feet are pointing absolutley straight foreward - stand on the join of a carpet or floor boards and have a look down! Most people have to really work on this bit!

You need the feet forward so's you evenly stretch the calf muscles. Imagine thay are shaped like a spoon (they're not but the mental picture is a goody!). The bowl of the spoon is just under your knee. If your back foot is twisted even a little bit you are overstretching one side of the bowl and understretching the other!

Hold the stretch until the muscle realxes. You can increase the stretch by stepping back a little further, keeping that heel down, and repeating the stretch.

Doing the calf stretch like this also makes sure that you aren't going to hurt your back and it keeps your head above your heart preventing dizziness caused by changes in blood pressure.

I hope this helps anyone who walks or jogs or takes a class, especially as someties we all get given advice and we don't get told WHY?

Stef (fellow tubby person and aerobics instructor with loads of certs and university degrees in health and exercise)
  • works for me
    The calf stretch I described works well for me.
  • and
    "Most people have to really work on this bit!"

Why would I want to "work" on a simple moves that just helps my leg muscles relax during/after exercise?

IMO You're making this way more complicated than it need be.
  • Parrot lady,

I offered my expertise and opinion, you don't have to take any notice. As an exercise professional I often give out info that people choose to ignore - no problem!

However others on this board like to have alternatives offered up - that's all I did. Please accept that no slur was intended on my part, I am just doing what I normally do, offering my know how on exercise related topics! Some peopple like the fact that I have qualifications and can give lots of scientifically proven advice. Others like to get other people opinions and experiences. Again, no problem, but I will always comment if I think some advice may not be suitable for all.

As for the content and "Why would I want to "work" on a simple moves that just helps my leg muscles relax during/after exercise?" I thought my explanation was quite clear! If you are going to stretch you should do it thoroughly and safely, as with all aspects of exercise!

Stef (Msc Health & Exercise Science, Exercise Science Lecturer, Lifestyle Activity Consultant)
  • hate that
    I really hate when people use their "qualifications" to suggest that their advice is superior to someone else's. What I'm doing works for me. My "qualification" for saying so is that I do it every day and it accomplishes my purposes, with no adverse side-effects.

Also, "experts" all disagree with each other. People with letter soup after their names have diametrically opposed ideas about diet, for example - some think you should reduce fat, some think you should reduce carbs, some think you should just reduce portions, etc. Their "qualifications" obviously don't mean much.

I'm not annoyed that you offered your advice, I'm annoyed that you presume it's better than someone else's advice.

P.S. Nothing is ever scientifically proven, only disproven.