Best way to start a running regime?

• I take my dog for walks and stuff but I want to build up to be able to run for a mile or two at a time instead of just walk.

What is the best way to build up my walking fast-running speed?

Thanks!
  • The couch-to-5k is pretty good. give it a google and check it out. There's also a bunch of threads about it
  • I'm going to be starting running via a running store's running program. Also, local running clubs have beginner running programs as well. Maybe look in your area for such ?
  • EricaBG, the simplest way to work up to running is to begin with walk / run intervals. Pick your favorite distance and start with walking. Then, throw in a minute or two of jogging, every 5 minutes or so. Don't try to run too fast. You should feel a bit out of breath, but not huffing and puffing like you are going to die. If a minute of jogging is too much, then try 30 seconds. You can either use timed intervals, or just do things like "jog to the next light pole". Gradually, you will find that you can jog longer and walk less. It's perfectly acceptable to stay with run/walk intervals forever, or you may find that one day you can just keep jogging through the entire distance. That's really all there is to it!!

The training programs mentioned above provide structure and specific targets, which many people find helpful. Good luck!
  • check out coolrunning.com for the Couch to 5K program
  • i agree, the best way to start is with running/brisk walking intervals. again, a good way to do this is with the couch 2 5k program. they have podcasts telling you when to walk and when to run and have upbeat music. i don't have an ipod, but i downloaded the podcasts and made CD's out of them to listen to them on my oldschool walkman-type CD player.
    good luck!