Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #1  

Default Anyone here work out at the YMCA?

I'm thinking about joining. I know they have a walking track and a weight room, but I was interested in the aerobics classes they offer and which if any would be the best for a beginner. They also have cycling classes, which I think would be really fun after I get into shape, but they look WAY too hard right now.
Any thoughts?

Jen
auer~j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #2  
Changing for the better

I work out at the YMCA! The one I go to is sooo nice because it was built only 2-3 years ago; it's a lot easier to exercise with the televisions and XM radio as well.....my dad is actually a personal trainer there too and he teaches spinning (cycling) classes - they are definitely tough but a GREAT workout!

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that makes the YMCA stand out from most other gyms (although each location is unique), but they usually offer a wide variety of classes and you can use their pool for exercise as well. I know that at my YMCA they offer a free fitness assessment when you join so you could do that to get an idea of where you stand physically.
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #3  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I have been working out at the YMCA. I simply love it!!! The warm pool is really nice to work out in or you can swim laps in the lap pool . You can get in the hot tub or go to the wet sauna or dry sauna. We have all kind of classes Kickboxing , Hi Lo,Pilates,Zumba ,etc. Zumba is my favorite we do moves like Dancing with the Stars. There are alot more classes I did'nt mention. All of our exercise equipment is brand new and what more can I say I really get a good workout and it feels like a mini vacation with all the luxuaries to enjoy after working out!!!!!!!!!!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I work out the the YMCA - its as good as any other gym I've been to! The classes don't fit my timetable - which is a shame really cas they look good! Its really reasonably priced and has a nice variety of people so I dont feel out of place.

Remember tho, the most important part of a gym is the free weight section - u dont need any of the fancy dequipment!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #5  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Used to work out there. I didn't like it because of all the giant buff men there that made it very intimidating to work out there because I'm pudgy and well, they are not. lol
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I love the YMCA here but I think they vary wildly from location to location. Why don't you call and see if you can get a free trial day?
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/233/140

Young man, are you listening to me?
I said, young man, what do you want to be?
I said, young man, you can make real your dreams.
But you got to know this one thing!

No man does it all by himself.
I said, young man, put your pride on the shelf,
And just go there, to the YMCA
I'm sure they can help you today.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

No Y is created equal. Even in the same city. I love the why in my area because the facility is great and my husband and I like the community feel to to it. I would actually go check it out. They should give you a 5 day pass or something similar so you can try before you buy
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote