Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #16  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

i started week 1 two weeks ago, but only went once the first week and twice last week. i've been using weather as an excuse, but secretly was glad it was raining lol. but i'm determined, so this week i'm gonna make myself run 3 times then move on to week 2.

does everyone move up to the next step each week? is it ok to do it in 2 week intervals? i have the worst lung capacity, since i was a teen. i get really short of breath if i push too hard too fast. that's what's always kept me from running. so i want to take it slow. i've done ok so far.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Height: 5'6

I've been doing C25k for a while too; I really really recommend it to all you guys who are thinking about doing it!

I did W6D3 today - 25 straight minutes of running! It was pretty tough, but probably because I was pushing the speed a bit. I did the first 20 minutes on 5.8 mph, and the last 5 minutes on 5.5 mph. It took lots of self-talk to get through it, but I made it! Its weird, I really look forward to running now, even though its hard.

Princess0113 - I'm sure repeating each week will be fine! Just take it as slow as you need to
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Everyone,
I just started too.
I had been doing HIIT but it was just too turbulent for me.
I just did the second session of the first week of the C25k program.
I'm using a speed of 5.5 for the jogging and 4.0 for the walking. Right now it's working out to be around 23 minutes for me because I have to allow for time for my treadmill to increase/decrease speed.
And I also do a full hour on the TM including the C25k program.
I'm sure I"ll have to cut back on the length of time as I do more jogging.
Today was fine though and I did 4 ab exercises as well and 20 4th step push ups. I'm also doing Wlifting on alternate days.
I used to be a runner and LOVED it; until I broke my leg ( not running, slipped on black ice in my driveway) a number of years ago.
So it would be wonderful if I could get back to 30 minutes of running.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #19  

Height: 5'3"

I decided to do W8D3 this morning without a rest day in between. Not really sure why, I just felt like it. It took me 30:26 to get to the 2.75 mile mark. Here's to W9 and a whole new beginning of running by the end of next week!
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 331/317.2/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm starting too. I did a test run of it last Monday and although I felt okay with jogging my heart rate was not alright so I just walked faster and I'm afraid its going to take me a few weeks to be able to jog those intervals so I'll keep repeating week 1 until I can jog or I can run through the program until I'm speed walking 3 miles and then start jogging. Which do you think is better way to go about it? I know I can do this I did a walk/jog program before and its such an amazing thing the body becomes capable of.

I've had a rough exercise week and after a great start I feel guilty and horrible for not getting my exercise that my body needs. I love the gym but can't afford to take my daughter with at $3 a day when I'm broke now as it is. When I get tax rebate I'll get caught up on bills and pay for her to go this month whenever its $10 for a whole month or $3 each time. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get back working. I just finished school for medical assisting and had to stop my job to complete internship to finish that. While I'd love to use my degree(I did pay $5000 for it after grants) but I may have to take anything or check out my prior employment which did pay quite well and I loved listening to music all day there. hehe

Well enough rambling. I'm Melissa and looking to run or walk/jog a 1/2 marathon in at Disney but registration is closed and not sure I'm up for fund raising. So might wait and do a full the next year and look for shorter races along the way. Ultimately I'd love to run a marathon at Disney in the future. Along the way I need and want to lose around 130 lbs.
LessOfLissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #21  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

My goal is to stay on schedule this coming up week. It's the last week of finals (I had three last week and four coming up) and I can practically build a fort with the textbooks that are stacked around me.

So, study break = running around campus with the iPod. That's my mantra this week.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #22  
Becoming Less Fluffy

S/C/G: Then: 286 / Now: Ticker

Height: 5'4"

Hi all...
I started C25K on April 27, but will be repeating Week 1's sessions again this coming week. I am not a jogger / runner, so I'll be starting slow. My walk / jogs this week have all been in the 1.75 mile range, but that includes an additional 5 minutes of cool down walking. My shins hate me!
One Fluffy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #23  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks. Everyone is at a different fitness/weight level, and that means longer training times for some. It's following the *idea* of C25K, where you gradually increase the time/distance you jog until you reach the desired level.

I do just the timed runs now, and then will work on getting the distance part down.
Today is W5D2 - so 8 minute jogs. I know I can do it. My 8 minute jog is about 1/2 a mile, not the 3/4 suggested in the workout - but that's okay.

Last edited by fiberlover; 05-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

I did w7d1 today - 25 minutes of straight running. I started out at 5.8 mph, bumped it up to 6.0 in the last 5 minutes, and 7.0 for the last minute.

This run was a lot better than my last; it went by much faster. I think its because I had better music to listen to.

Good luck everyone! You can do it!
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #25  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

W8D3 is done! I pushed myself for the first 25 min. and then barely had the power to finish the last three, but I made it through and I managed to improve my speed quite a bit - from 8 laps to 10, i.e. 2.5 miles. Not too bad! I did "intervals" of quarter laps - increasing the tempo on the straight parts of the track and switching to a slower pace in the bends.

Today I even managed to outrun a few people! Haaa!
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #26  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I had started doing some intervals back in February before I knew what HIIT was. Then I was going to start the C25K in March and put it off. I still did intervals but never managed to make it more than 90 seconds or so. In April, I was able to get outside a few days and managed to get through some 2-2.5 minutes jogs. I haven't been able to break that barrier. I've done 60 minutes every day this last week walking and decided today was the day to get into this 5K training. I looked up the weeks and decided to jump right into week 3.

I did it!!!!I ran for 3 minutes. I am in shock.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Hello I would love to join. I'm in W2D1 and need to be on an accountability thread. I've chosen a 5k to do in mid July. I'm fine with my food so my goal is to run off those last pesky pounds and get into that 2 piece this summer. Happy running.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #28  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Fluffy Chick View Post
Hi all...
I started C25K on April 27, but will be repeating Week 1's sessions again this coming week. I am not a jogger / runner, so I'll be starting slow. My walk / jogs this week have all been in the 1.75 mile range, but that includes an additional 5 minutes of cool down walking. My shins hate me!
yeah my shins hurt too! i've found it's not so bad if i stretch really well. problem is i tend to rush and don't stretch like i should.

is it better to stretch before or after? or both? i run in the morning before work so i don't have lots of time... well i would if i could get out of bed a little earlier but i don't see that happening. lol
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 151/152/128

Wow Bernerdoc! Good to see the program actually works! I'm not following the program religiously because some days my knees feel better than others, but even without following it exactly my progress is amazing! I'm up to W4 doing five minute jogging intervals, and I never thought I could run for that long! Keep going everybody! We can do it.
makeyourownplans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #30  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess0113 View Post
yeah my shins hurt too! i've found it's not so bad if i stretch really well. problem is i tend to rush and don't stretch like i should.

is it better to stretch before or after? or both? i run in the morning before work so i don't have lots of time... well i would if i could get out of bed a little earlier but i don't see that happening. lol
I'm not a professional but I do believe it is best to stretch after running when your muscles are still warm. Good shoes also do wonders.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote