Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #1  

Default weight gain and exercise

Has anyone had HUGE weight gains when they really started exercising? I've been exercising since about November, but have really upped my routine this past week. I spun three days, ran two, did step the other day- my only day off was Easter, and I did like 30 minutes of weights three days for arms, legs and abs plus my normal daily ab routine.

I went to weight watchers today and I was up 5 (FIVE!!!!!!!) pounds! There is NO way I ate 17,500 extra calories, yes I over indulged on Easter, but we have a pretty healthy dinner. I just don't get it, I wanted to cry. I just got over my TOM on Wednesday but I am usually up the week before, no the week of. The WW lady was really rude, bascially told me I must of done something wrong, there is no way I did something THAT wrong.

Anyone else? PLEASE?
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been doing a strength building routine for the last few weeks and I find I'm up about a pound or so the day after. I've also become very consistent with how much water I drink, which helps the wild swings. Someone pointed out this article yesterday on another board, but it might answer some questions.

Why the scale lies
http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=87

I'm assuming that you are tracking you points closely. I know when I up the exercise it's very easy to up the food as well.

Last edited by RealCdn; 03-29-2008 at 03:51 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I just started weight training, and have been up as much as 5 lbs the next day, from water retention. Something about the muscle needs it for repairs...?That's probably what's going on with you, just water weight. Try upping your drinking water and it should go back to normal. Mine is better, though still going up about a pound the day after weight training. I'm just trying to make sure I get enough water during the day, and that seems to help.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Oh yeah....after a really hard run...I've been up as much as 7. The more my muscles ache..the more I am up
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitbeans View Post
The WW lady was really rude, bascially told me I must of done something wrong, there is no way I did something THAT wrong.

Anyone else? PLEASE?
You should try to talk to her supervisor. WW KNOWS about exercise induced water weight gain. They talk about it in some of their meetings. She needs to be educated.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

caitbeans the other girls are right don't worry too much about the fluctuation when you introduce new exercise...

I stopped going to WW years ago because they didn't seem to "understand" exercise, ESPECIALLY weight training they recommended I stop .... NOT!!!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Very true Ilene...I think they have gotten better, but some of the old leaders are very "old school". Bottom line is they are like TBL...all that matters is the number on the scale...and we know better
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, the lady that weighed me was very OLD ...

What are you doing up at 2AM? L
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #9  

Thank you thank you, that makes me feel so much better.

What is a better way to measure your progress if you excercise a lot? I am addicted to it. I am thinking about leaving WW, and counting calories on my own. The lady just really hurt my feelings- I've had problems with her before- one week I lost 3.5 the next I gained less than a pound, but it was my TOM and she told me I must have overindulged since I had such a big loss, no thanks I usually have a gain with TOM. I tried to avoid her scale but DF (God love him) said (LOUDLY) "That one is open go over there". I need to find a new way to measure my progress.

Last edited by caitbeans; 03-30-2008 at 08:23 AM.
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I've been too lazy to do it myself, but have heard good things about taking measurements and using pictures, besides just the obvious of having looser clothing and such. I know what you mean about being addicted to exercise. There aren't enough hours or days for me to do everything I want to do, now that I feel like I "can" be more active!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I would definitely look for a different meeting leader. Weight is still not a BAD tool, you just have to accept fluctuations as normal and not try to assign a cause to every pound. Also measure yourself and keep a record of that. It will reflect how your body is losing fat and reshaping itself. I also cant keep on top of measuring regularly...my kids keep stealing my measuring tape. So I weigh, but I know that some days weight will fluctuate and it didnt mean any of the things that meeting witch said.

Last edited by ennay; 03-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Yes, the lady that weighed me was very OLD ...

What are you doing up at 2AM? L
Wasnt 2 am HERE...bigger question is what were YOU doing up?