3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Great workout headphones? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/137194-great-workout-headphones.html)

Glory87 03-16-2008 03:49 PM

Great workout headphones?

Hi all, I need a pair of headphones that fit securely. Earbuds fall out a lot (I must have some kinda freaky ear shape) so I would prefer something that went around the ear. Wireless (to work with my ipod Nano with Bluetooth wireless adapter) would be the best! Looking to spend less than 100.00.

Thanks!

Scenestealer 03-16-2008 10:22 PM

Brookstone has a really comfortable pair of over the ear ones that are $30. I got mine two years ago, and absolutely love them. Good sound quality, and just extremely comfortable.

My one caveat is that in the time I've had them, they've broken twice (wires got messed up). Both times I brought the headphones and the receipt to a Brookstone location (not necessarily the one where I bought them - any Brookstone will do) and they swapped them for a new set. I think the problem is that I am always tossing them into my bag and pulling on them and whatnot, so I wouldn't blame the headphones.

srmb60 03-16-2008 11:55 PM

I think Nelie worked hard to find just the right pair. You could ask her or haul her over to this thread.

BlueToBlue 03-17-2008 04:02 AM

I use earbuds and I also had problems with them falling out. What worked for me wasn't finding the perfect pair of head phones (I hate the thought of anything that covers my ear, so any kind of headphones would be a really desperate last resort) but finding a tie clip. A few inches below where the separate wires for each ear join together, I clip the wire for the earbuds to my shirt or bra (bra if I'm wearing a lose fitting shirt, shirt if it is tight). This takes most of the weight from the wire of the earbuds and it has made all the difference in terms of my ear buds actually staying in my ears. If you don't have a tie clip, a small binder clip will also work.

Buying earbuds with different sized rubber caps for the buds and then trying the different sizes to see which worked best also helped (and are a lot more comfortable than the ones that came with my iPod).

I also think the problem that Laura mentions with the wires getting screwed up is pervasive, whether you use earbuds or headphones and regardless of brand. I've bought several different brands of earbuds and the longest I've had a pair last was a year. I've had pairs where the wires got screwed up in less than 30 days. I'm only spending around $15 to $25 on my earbuds, so maybe the problem is that I'm cheap and if I spent more money to get a better pair, they would last longer. But whatever you end up buying, make sure you save the receipt.

Glory87 03-17-2008 11:00 AM

Heh, as far as wires getting tangled up - I've been honestly contemplating these for work. Okay, not really, probably these.

nelie 03-17-2008 11:27 AM

Susan - I did work hard because I had sweaty little ears and I never did find the perfect pair although there were some decent Sony wrap arounds that I bought. I haven't used ear phones in ages though.

Glory87 03-17-2008 12:23 PM

Oooh, which ones did you get, Nelie?

lostchick 03-17-2008 12:31 PM

I thought I was the only one with freaky ears. I finally got wrap around water proof ones at target for $8.00 cheap but they work. I can't seem to use ear buds they just keep falling out and headphones just seemed too extreme.

nelie 03-17-2008 12:36 PM

Glory - It was a couple years ago so I don't remember (and I don't use them anymore). Although I've been thinking of using my ipod more often, it just never happens.

Scenestealer 03-17-2008 02:16 PM

The ones I got at Brookstone actually come with a retractable option if you want that. The little retractor just looks like something that would swing around and be annoying, so I went with the regular ones. And I tend to coil them around my iPod, so I don't really need retraction anyway. Hearing that others have had the broken wires issue makes me feel better. Brookstone has a great return policy (if they break in a year, you get new ones), so I'd endorse those again.

baffled111 03-17-2008 05:01 PM

I know everyone thinks they can't do ear buds, but I really, really recommend these: The Plug The ear bud part is made of foam, so you squish it, shove it in your ear and then the foam expands and stays put. They never, ever, ever fall out and they're not uncomfortable. I've been using them for years and years now. Koss has a reasonable replacement policy (send them $6 and the old pair and they send you a new pair in less than 2 weeks), so I just keep sending them in. (Actually, I have 2 pairs: one to use and then another in reserve for when the first pair craps out. But I use my mp3 player pretty much constantly, so the ear buds get lots of use.)

GatorgalstuckinGA 03-17-2008 09:33 PM

i'm really looking for a pair of earplugs that are wireless..i find i always get the wires caught on machines/equiptment/myself. So i would love to know anyone that has found a good pair of wireless earplugs