Has anyone done the Breast Cancer 3 Day?

• I am considering doing this. Anyone have any experience with this? What kind of training would I have to do? It is a 60 mile walk over 3 days to benifit breast cancer reaserch. I run 26 miles a week. I am not sure how much training I can or should add on to this. Also does anyone know how many hours it would take to walk 20 miles at a 4 mph pace? Thanks for any info. Jelly
  • 20 miles at a 4mph pace would take 5 hours.
  • im not sure...but why don't you heck out their website...i would think they might have people who have suggestions/advice to help with training. BTW..i think its a great thing.
  • I did the weekend in Vancouver last year and am going again in sept.
    It was about 35 k on the first day and 25 the second. I cant stress enough how well looked after we are with first aid stations and stops every 3 -5 k with all kinds of snacks and drinks and biffy. I didnt train very much . Made sure I had shoes I was comfortable in and good sock.
    If I could do it anyone can. You will be glad you did . Check out the web sites . You have so much going on that you at times forget you are walking a 60 k.
  • I did the 3-Day in November of this past year. WOW! What an experience!! It was the most physically difficult thing I have ever done but it was also the most inspiring!! I think everyone should do it once!

You said that you run quite a bit each week. To be honest with you, that really doesn't matter too much when it comes to the 3-Day. It will aid in you endurance but that is about it. There are a million resources for you on the website. They recommend a 26-week (ithink 26 weeks) training schedule. It seems like a long time to train. Don't overestimate your ability!! I didn't take my training as seriously as I should have and boy was I regretting that by the end of day 1!! Commit to training and you will do great.

The fundraising is pretty easy; much easier than I thought. Consider joining a team in your area. The comradery is great and they also (if you have a 'team-minded' team) help everyone to their fundraising goals. They will alos do group walks which help you get a sense of how far 20 miles really is.

If you have any other questions, please PM me.

You will experience every emotion possible during those 60 miles. I know I experienced them all over again during the final 2!! It is amazing, moving, uplifting and inspiring! Do it!!
  • It's a good cause, but are you willing to give up the running to train for it? I think it would be very difficult to do both at the same time. (Personally, I wouldn't give up my running for a walking event. I can write a check instead.)