3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   I'm probably weird... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/133375-im-probably-weird.html)

ChunkyDunker 02-02-2008 07:22 PM

I'm probably weird...

...but I really don't like people touching me a lot. It's not that I'm anti-social or anything but if a man touches me and I don't see it coming I literaly recoil. I'm starting with my personal trainer on wednesday and was wondering how much "handling" I should expect :o

Thanks

GatorgalstuckinGA 02-02-2008 09:04 PM

its hard to say....my pt is a female and touches me to put me in specific/proper forms..ie she'll put her hand on my back to help keep me straight and then at the end of the session, she'll stretch me out. But it really depends. Sometimes some touching is needed to show you the proper form. But a lot of it is hands off.

baffled111 02-02-2008 11:45 PM

There will probably be some touching--just lightly so that the trainer can show you the proper form. It shouldn't feel creepy. Forewarned is forearmed. :)

BlueToBlue 02-03-2008 04:42 AM

I'm the same way. I have serious issues with people touching me, to the point where I don't even like to be hugged. It hasn't been a problem at all with my personal trainer. There's really not an excessive amount of touching, just the occasional light touch to correct my form once in a while and then the stretching at the end of my session. Like baffled said, there probably will be some touching but I wouldn't expect there to be a lot (although every trainer is different and some probably touch more than others) and it definitely shouldn't be creepy. If the touching bothers you, I'm sure you can ask your trainer not to do it (if you recoil, he'll probably get the message). If the stretching bothers you, I'm sure you can tell your trainer you want to stretch on your own.

stacylambert 02-04-2008 12:52 AM

Technically trainers are supposed to ask permission up front about whether or not they may touch you (I'm currently studying for my certification). If he/she doesn't I'm sure they would be find if you casually mentioned upfront you would prefer if they demonstrated on themselves and/or verbally corrected you. Once this is out of the way it will be a lot more comfortable and enjoyable for you and potentially spare the trainer's feelings if they notice you reacting to their touch.

Nori71 02-04-2008 01:16 AM

I don't think my trainer has ever touched me aside from shaking my hand the first time we met! If he has, it obviously went very "unnoticed" by me. And I'm like you with "my space". Actually most uncomfortable for me is the view he has of me doing certain exercises. Like in positions only my Dh sees me in. Sometimes I start to feel self conscious, but just have to get over it.

ennay 02-04-2008 01:22 AM

I would tell your trainer up front that you prefer to be touched as little as possible. I know some like to put a light finger on a joint or a muscle to keep focus or prevent the form from degrading, but it isnt required.

aphil 02-06-2008 03:49 PM

I am not a personal trainer, but I work at an athletic club as a dance instructor, and some of my co-workers are trainers.

From my personal experience, I think sometimes it is *good* to touch a student/client. Sometimes in class, I can say out loud for someone to move their feet or move something to correct their form-but sometimes they don't "get the feel of it" until I move them physically. It is usually something very slight-such as pressing down their shoulders, adjusting an arm position, etc.

It isn't ever anything creepy or touchy-feely, but when you are exercising or dancing, proper form is important-and when it is done, it is done so to ensure that you get the results that you want, and so that the activity is safe for you.

How much touch is involved depends on personally. Some students I have never had to touch at all (they naturally have great form, or correct it when I verbalize it) and others I have to correct more often.

I understand that you have a thing with personal space, and I do as well in everyday situations, but when I go to a dance intensive myself-I want to be corrected/moved if I need it. The reason that you are paying for someone to train you (in exercise or dance or a sport...) is to be coached and taught to do it correctly. You don't want to pay, and have them let you do it wrong. So, just think of it as being corrected/guided, rather than someone touching you for the heck of it. :)