3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   How much exercsie should I do? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/132735-how-much-exercsie-should-i-do.html)

crazy helen 01-28-2008 08:16 AM

How much exercsie should I do?

Hi Girls,

I've been on my weight loss adventure for 18 months now and I've been pleased with my progress. I'm following the slimming world plan. At the moment I go to aerobics three times week but that's the only exercise I do, I want to increase my exercise amount and I'm considering going on the exercise bike 5 mornings a week for 30 mins before work, as well as going to my class. I love my aerobics class but we only spend 30 mins on cardio and then 30 mins stretching and toning. I guess what I really want to know is how much time do people think I should spend exercising, especially on cardio? I would really like to give my weight loss a boost, or to lose some more inches.

Thanks.

zinkemomx2 01-28-2008 09:31 AM

I would recommend hopping over the the weight lifting boards. Sounds like you should add some strength training to your plan. The added muscle will help burn more calories.

crazy helen 01-28-2008 09:51 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look over there.

Ilene 01-29-2008 11:12 AM

Definitely add weight training AND daily cardio if you wish... But making muscle is very important to burn extra calories...

almostheaven 01-29-2008 12:40 PM

You SHOULD spend at least 30 minutes 3 days a week. However, to boost weight loss, it's better to do more. And how much more will depend upon you. Some people exercise for an hour or more every day, others take that 30 minutes to 5 days a week. Do what your body can handle, while making sure to at least get that 30 min/3 day minimum. And also do a variety, like strength as well as cardio.

Ilene 01-29-2008 03:57 PM

The new guidelines recommends at least 30 minutes of exercise per day to start and more when you get fitter...

Here's a good article:

How Much Should You Exercise?

djs06 01-29-2008 05:31 PM

I think you should push yourself to do as much exercise as you can envision yourself actually sustaining. Key for me is consistency, so I find that if I commit to a certain amount and just try to push myself five or ten minutes past that, the feeling it gives is just great... and on the days where I just can't, that's okay too. So my best advice to you is to think realistically about how much time you're willing to put in, make some small changes at first, and work your way up to a bigger goal. I think it's different for everyone when we take everything into account rather than a number goal.

crazy helen 01-30-2008 04:26 AM

This week I've done 30 mins on the exercise bike in the mornings and then 1 hour in a class in the evenings, I'm really enjoying it, although I am pretty tired lol. I hope I can keep it up because even though I can't see the benefits yet I can certainly feel them. Thanks for the advice, its very helpful :)

almostheaven 02-02-2008 11:27 AM

Make sure to take a day off sometimes. Your body will thank you for it. ;)