3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Small Houses (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/132583-small-houses.html)

Casandra 01-26-2008 05:52 PM

Small Houses

I have limited mobility into town to access gyms or fitness classes.

I also live in the UK, where the weather can be a pain in the bum to the extent where it rains almost 85% of a given week.

I have a small house as well, so trying to find a decent form of exercise that is low impact is very hard for me.

I was just wondering, given my situation, can anybody offer me some suggestions? I was thinking an Elliptical might be the right way to go, but measuring up, they're too long for me to have in my dinky home.

I think the smallest I've found is 100cm long, but at £199 ($400) its out of budget for me.

Any thoughts?

crbowles 01-26-2008 06:06 PM

We have a gazelle and my hubby and son love it. It does not take up much space and it's low impact. Hope that helps!

zinkemomx2 01-26-2008 06:27 PM

I have a folding treadmill. Love it!

SoulBliss 01-26-2008 06:31 PM

What about a mini trampoline? I live in a tiny house too and this is the best choice for me at this time.

Scenestealer 01-26-2008 09:15 PM

I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, and there are some good exercise videos that you can do with very little space.

NavyWifeDee 01-26-2008 09:26 PM

I too have a folding treadmill... which is currently squeezed into my bedroom as we live in a small 3 bedroom house on base with 3 kids and an 80 lb dog. I actually have to close the bedroom door and lock it to be able to unfold the treadmill... I love it though.

almostheaven 01-27-2008 11:00 PM

I have quite a few options for when space has been an issue. We have a larger home now though and I've added some larger equipment. But I still use all of it. One is a simple step and hand weights and I will do some low impact step aerobics while watching TV. It takes just a few feet of space to step up and lift the weights. A little more to step up and kick.

I also have an Easy Strider from Wal*Mart. It fits in a closet when not in use. It's about $50. It stands about 1 foot high and is about 3' x 3' max. It's 2 pedals that you stand on and kinda stride/walk, with a battery operated calorie counter. My daughter got one similar that is a stair stepper. Same size, looks the same, but instead of a back and forth motion, the pedals go up and down.

Situps, pushups, squats, lunges, etc. All just take the space of your own body. And speaking of body...invest in a body ball.

As someone else mentioned, a mini trampoline is good too.

And then videos. You can have umpteen workouts by using videos. I prefer the WATP series. I've done them in tight spaces, like the few feet between my bed and dresser. I just turn sideways to do the sidesteps along the length of the bed, then turn back around to do the kicks.