3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Stupid question from a newbie to exercise!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/130356-stupid-question-newbie-exercise.html)

alisluv 01-05-2008 08:48 PM

Stupid question from a newbie to exercise!!

Okay - this probably should be common-sense to me, but I really don't know the answer!

Is it just as effective if I walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes, and then come back 2, 4 or 6 hours later and walk another 15 minutes........as if I did 30 minutes at once?? Is this a bad thing? I don't honestly think I can do 30 minutes at once, so I figured two 15-min. things would be better than nothing.
Help!!

Heather 01-05-2008 08:53 PM

Well, I think it depends on your goal. If you want to really build heart health and aerobic endurance, then 30 min straight is much better than 2 fifteen min sessions.

But, if you can't do that yet, I think it's a great idea to do 2 fifteen min sessions. You'll burn more calories than one session, and train yourself mentally to think of yourself as an exerciser!!

txangelgirl 01-05-2008 08:57 PM

IMO yes it all counts!!! I read in several places that all the tiny spurts of exercise do add up to health benefits. Take the 10,000 steps a day challenge.... they say to be in optimum health, aim for 10k a day right. It is better than nothing. Take walking and jogging for example. A lot of people inlcuding myself will walk for 5 and jog for two, and alternative for however long they can. since I'm not much of a jogger I have found that to be a great workout. I also have a desk job so I sit all day (I work in computer networking). So when I first started my arse was glued to my desk, and I started feeling really sluggish within a matter of days. So what I did was, I started finding excuses to go roaming about the office lol, i.e. take messages in person instead of emailing, getting up to go talk to whoever if I had a question instead of using msn mgr, etc. And the sluggishness stopped - like, almost instantly. I think that if you can stand the half hour, go for it.... pain is gain (or loss we hope!!!), but if you don't have time, or you just can't go for that stretch, then absolutely go for 15 then grab some water or something, or stretch for a few minutes, or do some floor work, then go back. And over time, so I'm told by other ladies on here as I am not able to go for 30 minutes yet myself, you'll be able to go longer and longer. :) I definitely wouldn't feel bad about it alis; negativity has no place in weight loss!!! Keep thinking positive and be proud of what you can do right now, and keep going! You'll get there!! :)

alisluv 01-05-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, girls! I'm hoping that eventually I can build up my stamina -- but you're right, I should be proud that I'm off my butt at ALL!!

trekkiegirl 01-06-2008 01:28 AM

I don't have a treadmill but I also started out with several 10 minute spurts of exercise a day, including indoor walking/jogging/dancing. Eventually, I put on my mp3 player and walked/danced through the house for over an hour. :p So I definitely built up stamina. And the music helps me also, as I focus on that and have fun with it and the time just whizzes by! :carrot: