3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners - October (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/124092-cool-runners-october.html)

YP1 10-01-2007 03:56 PM

Cool Runners - October

Hello everyone, I thought I'd start the new monthly thread.

I had a good run this evening with running club, it was pretty short because a lot of people raced yesterday, but I kept it pretty fast which was what I needed after doing the half slowly yesterday. I was really surprised this morning how fresh my legs felt - usually they let me know even if I walk 13, so to run/jog a half and not feel it at all felt pretty good!

I realised this morning that I'm meant to be tapering now, but depending whether I need to visit my grandmother at the weekend, I'm more and more tempted to do one more longish run before scaling back, but I might cut back my mileage a bit during the week to compensate, so my overall mileage does go down to about 75% of normal, even if my long run isn't much shorter. Decisions decisions.

onthetee 10-01-2007 07:16 PM

I ran 30 CONSECUTIVE minutes

I have not been posting here much because my progress has been regress. I wasn't enjoying it like I did earlier. The triumphs seemed far apart. I started C25K in June, but I was not too dedicated. The first six weeks, I was fine, then I lost interest. Why kill myself when I can do 40 minutes on the elliptical, burn as many calories and not feel like my lungs are going to explode?

Tonight, finally, after 4 freakin' months, I did it!! 30 in a row.

I am a runner.

LisaMarie71 10-01-2007 08:51 PM

Helen, whatever you decide about your taper, I'm sure your body will handle it -- you running queen, you!!

onthetee -- yay you!!! That's fantastic!! :cheer2:

I did a tough track workout with the kids tonight, where we alternate sprints and recovery jogs for 25 minutes. You don't get much recovery between sprints, so it pretty much kills you. Then I walked the cross country course with my husband to mark it for our home meet. I'm TIRED!

ennay 10-02-2007 12:34 AM

I am thinking next time I will taper less. I didnt respond well and it occurs to me that ALL of my PR's have been on tired legs. I'll see sunday! I was reading the RW article and that is kind of how I feel now, sluggish, not revived.

shananigans 10-02-2007 10:23 AM

October! Where does the time go.

onthetee - Way to go, that is awesome!

I've been plugging along. Joined the YMCA over the weekend so I am super excited about that. I'll be doing other cardio in addition to running now (spin, elliptical, swimming, etc) so I think I'll just hang out where I am with the mileage while I'm adding new stuff in. The cross training should be good for my cardio endurance. Plus I plan to get back to weight training and yoga with more regularity. May give pilates a go again, after begin a yoga nut for a while I found that pilates was not as much to my liking, but maybe a new class and new instructor will do something for me.

Now that I have treadmills available I decided to see if I could knock out a 9 min mile, and I did :) It felt like I was pushing and I definitely couldn't do much more than a mile at that pace right now, but I was still pretty impressed. My fastest 5k has me at a 10 min mile pace.

I just found out about a 5k for homecoming at the UW here, might sign up for that. I’ll have to keep my football partying in check the day before though. :p

Hope everyone is having a good week.

HeatherAngel 10-02-2007 12:52 PM

3.25 miles for me today... feeling like I am finally getting back into running properly :)

Good for you tee - it's so hard to resume something once we slip, so well done!!

Everyone else, have a great day!

Heather :D

YP1 10-02-2007 04:24 PM

Netball, cycling and weights for me today, my trainee said to me at lunch time "you do realise you're meant to do less during the taper, don't you..." the netball was only 20 minutes though, and not too strenuous, but I will probably only do the normal length run tomorrow rather than adding a few extra miles before the start.

cakses 10-02-2007 04:30 PM

Hello again. Greetings from the land of the lazy, excuse giving, fell off the wagon world! Wow what a waste of two weeks! But I am back, and the past two days have been SO MUCH BETTER!

Funny story. I hurt my back last week, so I sat out for a week. Finally, after I couldn't take it anymore I called the dr. who didn't have any appts. So I decided to walk on my treadmill just to get my legs moving before they atrophied :) I get on there and it was like my back started to unknot, so I started to run and the spine jiggling almost completely undid all my pain! Moral of story, sitting on your butt apparently hurts me more than running does!

Ran 1 miles yesterday at 12:30 pace and today I ran 1.25 miles at a 12:00 pace. I could have gone faster or longer but I think I am going to try the 2 on 1 off approach and add in a 1/4 mile each day now that I feel good. Still trying to work up to 5k. I also did weight training today for the first time in 2 months *blush* and man that makes all the difference. I am going to start going back to the gym 2-3 times a week and the other days I'll use my treadmill.

I am moving at the end of the month onto post (where the gym is) and I will be adding in some water exercise then. I'm pretty excited to be back on track!

LisaMarie71 10-02-2007 08:30 PM

Yay for being back on track, Heather and cakses!! :cheer2:

I ran 2.5 miles tonight with my team. Felt pretty good, even though I almost tripped and fell on several roots in the woods. Cross country running is scary sometimes!!

WindyCityChick 10-02-2007 10:27 PM

Ennay, put down the Runner's World article, it will only mess with your mind (I should know:))

Ran my short little 3 miles today - at least with the shorter mileage, it's easy to get up and get it done first thing in the morning.

Cakses and Heather, very glad to hear you're back on track. And onthetee - a big WOOHOO :carrot: to you for reaching the 30 minute mark!

Now, I just need to figure out what to pack for the weekend - at this point, I'm considering bringing so much that it may be easier to figure out what I'm not taking! At least I know that the only truly critical items are the shoes and the running bra (both of which are going into the carry on luggage)...everything else is replaceable in a pinch.

HeatherAngel 10-03-2007 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone - I'm going to arrogantly speak for Cat here as well as myself: THANK YOU for all your support - it's great to be back to it! :lol3:

Cat - feel free to :kickbutt:!

Heather :D

ennay 10-03-2007 10:37 AM

BTW Rachel...take what I sent you about the pace calculator with a grain of salt. I am just now starting to fit the normal curve. Before I got pg I was much slower on short distances than predicted and much faster on long distances than predicted. I had a nearly flat pace curve.

It would be very hard to pack for this weekend...even I dont know what I am wearing to race yet.

YP1 10-03-2007 04:12 PM

I did one of my least favourite running club routes today, it's 7.2 miles and has a couple of really evil hills. Still, I got round it OK, but I'm glad to have got it out of the way for another month or so. still trying to work out my running plans for the rest of the week, I don't know whether I'll have to go to see my grandmother in hospital, or whether my sister and her fiance are intending to come to stay with me, so it's all a bit up in the air. I hate not being able to plan when I'm going to run.

onthetee 10-03-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YP1 (Post 1879487)
I hate not being able to plan when I'm going to run.

I might be wrong, but I am guessing you do not have a two year old....

cakses 10-03-2007 05:09 PM

Today is a walk day, and I am not as sore as I thought I would be after 2 days of running, so I am guessing the lifting is helping. Tomorrow I will attempt 1.5 miles and I think I should make this just fine. I seem to do better at the gym - I push myself a little harder than when I am at home and no one can see me :)

I have 9 months until my hubby comes home for leave, so I am hoping to be as svelte as possible, and I can't wait to take him for a run and be able to keep up or at least hold my own for a bit!!!