Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #1  

Default run to lose weight or...

I use to be a healthy weight for my height until I became pregnant with my son. He was born in July, and I'm still 50 pounds over weight (207 and 5'8"). I use to run all the time, and I miss it. I also think it would be an efficient way to get in exercise, since we're so busy with the new baby that it's hard to fit exercise in.

So, my question is....do I need to lose more weight before I begin running again. (I'm going to do the Couch to 5k.) Or, if I start running again, will it be okay, and a quicker way to get back on the weightloss wagon!

Thanks for your help!!!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I have to say no - I started the C25K when I was over 240lbs, and I have never looked back You'll find many of us were much heavier than you are now when we started!

Good luck, and be sure to check out the C25K and Cool Runners threads!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I started at around 250 and my knees hurt a little at first, but other than that I had no problems. The C25K program is wonderful! As Heather said, make sure you visit the relevant threads -- there are lots of great people there to support you along the way!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I say start running!

Just a word of caution. You still have the hormones that loosen your joints circulating for about 6 months pp. So you are slightly more prone to injury than your average runner.

Get good shoes - get fitted for new ones even if the ones you were wearing before are practically new, when I had my first baby my gait, foot size, foot shape and pronation all changed.

Use a higher level of caution about pushing through pain/discomfort/niggling feelings than you would normally

Dont try to push your pace at all and try to avoid downhill terrain.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote