Pilates

• Hello all you exercisers!

I tend to switch up my routine every so often so I don't get bored by doing the same thing. In the past I've done:

Denise Austin's shows on Lifetime
    Step aerobics classes
    Walking outside
    Elliptical paired with the resistance machines at the gym
    The Firm cardio series
    Tae Bo DVDs
    Running
    Yoga

Currently, I'm running five or six miles twice a week and taking an hour and a half hatha yoga class once a week. I also walk about four miles a day and most weeks I throw another three mile run in there in between my two long run days. I usually swim on Sundays also.

I've been interested in trying some Pilates, though, and was wondering if any of you have good recommendations for DVDs. There are no classes in my area. I had picked up Pilates Conditioning for Weight Loss Program (a Gaiam video with Suzanne Deason) and just tried it out this past weekend. There are three levels and I did the easiest one on Sunday and the medium one today and didn't really "feel" much. Not that I was expecting to be too sore to get out of bed, but I was expecting more work in the abs. I really don't know good from bad in the Pilates world, so I was hoping someone would clue me in.

Thanks a lot!

Kara
  • Just bumping this up in hopes someone will have some advice.
  • Kara,

I really like the Winsor Pilates series. I have probably six different dvds. They have some that work the whole body and then they have those that target specific areas. My favorite is sculpt your body slim, it has three different work outs on it. It has a fat burning followed by floor exercises which runs about 30-40 minutes. Then there is a twenty minute floor exercise using the circle. It also includes a quick 10 minutes for when your short on time. I also have a Denise Austin Pilates dvd but I found it too difficult for me.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck
    Bridgette.
  • Thank you, Bridgette! Does that circle come with the DVD or did you purchase it separately? What is it, exactly?

Kara
  • I have the Winsor Pilates set, about 8 or so separate DVDs. I don't care much for it myself but that's just because it's not really my style. I also have a few of the Stott Pilates and love them! They're much more my style. I found those in the dollar store, four of them for $1.
  • Well, you can't beat that deal, huh, Diane?! What was it about the Windsor series that you didn't like?

Kara
  • Kara,

The circle did come with the disc. Its piece of bendable plastic in the shape of a circle thats helps provide extra resistance will doing pilates. If you go to their website, I'm sure they probably have a picture of it.

Have a great day!
    Bridgette.
  • Thanks, Bridgette! There's always something new out there for me to clumsily fumble my way through... You tone abs laughing at yourself, right?!

Kara
  • X
  • Quote: Well, you can't beat that deal, huh, Diane?! What was it about the Windsor series that you didn't like?

Kara
    You mean I have to have a reason? LOL I dunno... I'm pretty persnickety when it comes to things like this so it doesn't take much. I guess I'd classify it as a bit too girly or prissy for my taste. Or maybe it was how it came off (to me) as being too "supportive" -- like a friend encouraging me -- but that annoys me. I don't want encouraging instructors, I need instructors with bullwhips and cattle prods.

(No, there are no cattle prods in the Stott videos, either, but I liked it nonetheless. LOL)
  • Thanks, Diane. It helps getting recommendations before you plunk the money down on it.

Kara
  • Quote: If you belong to Costco, they have a pilates kit with the ring right now for $15. It also has a DVD, but I don't know how good it is yet as I just got it yesterday. It also has a booklet with exercises in it. It says not to use the ring until you can get through all the exercises (and it rates itself as an advanced routine), but if it's too easy for you, the ring should really help make it harder.
    Let me know what you think!

Kara
  • I was thumbing through my books today and thought of you. I have a book called "The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler and it's wonderful if you're a book person. It's an easy read, straight to the point. She has a second Pilates Body book, too, that I want but don't yet have -- have also heard good things about that one.
  • X
  • That *is* a decent deal! Thanks again for the recommendation!

Kara