3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Any Gold's Gym members out there? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/116732-any-golds-gym-members-out-there.html)

LeighHop 07-02-2007 04:35 PM

Any Gold's Gym members out there?

Hey Everyone -

I was just curious if anyone takes the classes at Gold's? I used to love them and am trying to get them back into my routine. I thought it would help to have a little check-in for any fellow Body Combat/Body Pump/or RPM lovers out there. I'd love to hear from you!

jellydisney 07-02-2007 05:05 PM

I belong to Gold's in MA. I like Gold's classes, although ever since they introduced BodyPump, I like them less. Do the Gold's in TX have BodyPump? It irritates me how unflexible the program is, and how they got rid of all of their other weight training classes.

LeighHop 07-02-2007 05:29 PM

Hey Jelly -

We do have Pump. I actually like it, but it is the only weight lifting class I've ever been to so I guess I don't know what I'm missing! What don't you like about it or what did you like about the other weight classes?

Do you do any of the other classes regularly? I've made a goal to get to 2 classes this week. Part of the thing I like about classes is that I can't quit during. Or I guess I could, but I'd be too embarassed to walk out in front of everyone. :)

jellydisney 07-02-2007 06:35 PM

I liked BodyPump when I first started doing it, but then I realized that it was the exact same class over and over. You do the same exercises to the same music in the same order for 3 straight months. I like more variety than that. Also, with certain exercises I found that the weight selection was too limited. For example, for chest presses, the 5kg plates on the bar were too heavy, but if I went down to the 2.5kg plates, the movement was way too easy. And they don't let you switch to hand weights or body bars because of the contract they signed with the BodyPump company. OH, and do you have to sign up in advance for the BodyPump classes? They're SO hyped up around here that you have to show up exactly 30 minutes before the class starts or all the spots fill up :mad:

I do like the other classes at Gold's though. My favorites are Zumba and Advanced Step. I like anything that's choreographed/dancy--it's much more fun! I wouldn't mind the BodyPump as much if they had left some of the other weight training classes in the mix too, but instead they just replaced them all with BodyPump.

Mel 07-02-2007 08:37 PM

BodyPump is a franchised, trademarked program. If a gym offers a class called "BodyPump", it must be taught by BodyPump certified instructors, with the music and choreography for that time period. If they change it, they can lose their right to use the name. Kind of a pain, but it's popular enough that a lot of gyms will do it so they can advertise BobyPump classes.

Mel

LeighHop 07-02-2007 09:39 PM

Mel - Thanks for the BP info!

Jelly - I can see why you aren't a Pump fan. You sound like a good dancy exerciser. I am just the opposite! I think what I like about Pump is that I can just sort of zone out and not think much about it. But you are totally right about the weights not always being right. I have the same trouble on the chest track. And on the biceps, I couldn't even hope to do the track all of the way through with the medium and small weight, but I know just using the medium weight isn't going to push me at all.

And yes, you definitely have to show up early to sign up. That is a pain.

What is Zumba? I've never heard of that one. I've been wanting to try Body Jam - it's the sort of hip hop class - but I'm too self conscious. :)

jellydisney 07-03-2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighHop (Post 1757514)

What is Zumba? I've never heard of that one. I've been wanting to try Body Jam - it's the sort of hip hop class - but I'm too self conscious. :)

Ooh, that sounds like fun! They don't have that one here, but if they did I'd definitely take it. Zumba is a high-impact latin dance type of class. It's very crazy and fun, although it can vary depending on the instructor.

harrypotterybarn 07-03-2007 12:13 PM

I'm not a Gold's Gym member, but I do go to a gym with the Les Mills classes. Personally, I love the BodyPump classes because the music/motion keeps me a lot more focused than any other weight classes I've taken. I always figure there must be something to it if I'm actually willing to go do it 3 times a week ;)

And I loooove BodyCombat, but I can't do it at the moment because of an injury. I can't wait to get back out there again!