Exercising with a child

• I was a college athlete and was in really good shape while in school. However, I have since had a child, who is nearly four and I'm a single mom, juggling that with a full-time policy analyst job, and trying to complete my PhD, so I don't have anyone to watch my daughter to go to the gym and it's difficult to find activities I can do with my daughter. My condo does have a swimming pool, but I find that I spend the time in there just splashing around with my daughter. I used to go to the gym three times a day pre-pregnancy and run 10-12 miles every morning. That's too difficult to do now, so I'm trying to find things to do that I can fit around my parenting responsibilities.

Any suggestions?
  • Hi Anna ! Welcome to 3Fat Chicks.
    I am a full time SAHM. I understand your busy schedule as at one time I did work and was a Scout leader as well as a Cubmaster for a Cubscout pack.
    I would love to go and work out at a gym- but it is 25 miles away. There is no one to watch the toddler other than the 13 year son, which just won't work.
    So one does what one can.
    When I started out I walked. I did a 30 minute walking tape. I sometimes did it twice a day. I was able to get in more time after bedtime and during naps. After a while I added a couple other DVD's. Right now I am working on the workouts from the book Winning By Losing by Jillian Micheals. I don't have a bench nor big elaborate piece of equipment. I use dumbbells, resistance bands and an Ikea coffee table.
    There are days DD2 is sitting on my feet when I do sit ups. She also tries to do the jumping jacks and tugs around my resistance bands. The best thing about not using a DVD is that you can put on something for the little one to watch and workout in the same room.
    I know right now you don't think it can be done- but empower yourself to figure out some cardio or some small weights that you can work in before or after the little one is awake.
  • My gym has daycare. For $2 you can drop your child off for up to 2 hours and go work out. It's a great deal! Plus, they're right there in the same building and can page you if they need you.

Another option would be to find a high school/college track and let her play in the middle while you run around the track.
  • Today I walked 45 minutes at the mall - I did circles round and round and round my boy who played with other kids in the little gym area. It's a new strategy of mine, I'm a single mom too, with a 3 year old boy. We also go on stroller rides, sometimes really long ones if he's up for it, it's our bonding time. We joined the YMCA that has a daycare but I don't go a lot however last time I found a new trick - my boy kicked a soccor ball around in the gym when no one was there while I did sprints up and down the basketball court pretending my old volleyball coach was screaming at me for my weight gain. I have a small mini stair step, I'm back to doing 20 minutes on at times, it bores me and that's the best I can do. DVD's work well, I just bought the family yoga dvd and believe it or not my little boy was doing yoga with me the other night. Other exercise dvd's that I enjoy are the ones that are 20-30 min in length. I end up doing a lot of exercising at strange hours at night when my boy's in bed, sometimes I can't sleep though and taking a bath, drinking tea after helps. The 10 min abs dvd is good if you are short on time. And I like a few of the bootcamp dvds that last 20-30 min. One is the Bodywisdom, it lets you choose different routines, and that silly blonde girl Denise has a new bootcamp dvd that's a top seller, I just can't stand her voice. Seems like the key is splitting 20 min into various times in the day, maybe 20 in the am, a lunch walk, and 20 min at night? Just some ideas...
  • Walking at the mall is great when it gets really hot out (or is really cold and icy out). You can take the stroller and push her around (will she sit in the stroller still?) I watch a four year old, a 2.5 year old and have my 10 month DD one day per week. We walk to the park the bigger kids hop in the stroller. I wear my DD and push them. It's great exercise for me!

I'd also do the same thing outside when it's fairly nice outside.

Do you have a bike? If so, you might want to get one of those bike strollers for her. Does she ride a two wheeler by herself yet if you don't think she'll do the bike stroller?

Finally, I'd also spend some time in the pool. You'd be surprised by the amount of calories you can burn just splashing around the pool. You can also purposely add some exercise to your movements. Not standing in the pool - instead using your legs (or your arms) to keep you afloat. Things like that.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for the advice. I actually went on ebay and bought 30 workout tapes ($20 including shipping) and I've been using them. It's been working out a variety of muscles and areas. I weighed myself for the first time since my physical last July when I weighed 220 and I'm currently at 209.8, so I'm feeling pretty good. I've also been recording my food and exercise into a FitDay profile and that really helps me to monitor. It's wonderful how much energy I have from eating all the right foods and I've been so full and eating so much, yet I've only been getting in the range of 1100-1400 calories per day!

My daughter is actually in Los Angeles, spending the summer with my mom, so it's easy to get started, but I want to make sure I have a routine I can maintain when my daughter is back at home.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

-Anna