3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Yoga for begginers? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/113428-yoga-begginers.html)

tehluckster 05-24-2007 08:51 AM

Yoga for begginers?

I've never done yoga before, but have always been interested in trying. All my friends that have done yoga are really thin or athletic so they wouldn't be a good source on how to go about starting yoga. There aren't many options on group yoga around where, I live so I was wondering if anyone knows of a dvd or show I could tivo that would be a good choice for beginners.

shananigans 05-24-2007 09:32 AM

I would say to look hard for a beginning yoga class if you can, or failing that maybe you can find a private instructor for just a few sessions? I know that sounds expensive, but when you’re just starting out with yoga it’s really helpful to have the guidance of someone who knows their stuff. There are so many little things in the alignment and execution of the poses and the breathing that are difficult or impossible to get from a video. I had some great instructors at the YMCA I used to go to, for the fist few months the instructors were constantly helping me correct things. After a while you start to learn what certain poses should feel like and you can do them on your own in good form.

I don’t have a gym membership since I moved, but I learned enough in the 2 years I took classes to practice on my own now. I like Namaste yoga on FitTV, but those workouts can tend to get a little advanced and move quite quickly. Not very good beginner material, IMO.

libchick 05-26-2007 06:40 PM

Yoga: Just My Size With Megan Garcia (2005). It pretty basic and it gives you advice on options if you can't master the moves straight away. You can find it on Amazon for under $10.

catsnhorses 05-26-2007 07:39 PM

I did some classes in march before my medical detour. Any class that shows safe alternatives for those who can;t do the moves is good, I think. I found I couldnt support my weight on my hands for things like "downward facing dog" and I had to sit out a lot in the class, even though the teacher was very sweet and non judgemental.

I;m thinking of trying to shift some of the avoirdupois before I go back to the yoga class, and maybe focus on cardio and stretches in the meantime...

There were a few newbs in the class when I started, they will all have moved on... wah!

horsey 06-04-2007 12:28 AM

Giaim does the yoga for beginners dvd that's really good. They also have a am/pm yoga dvd, and there's a few yoga dvds that are more for relaxation. I learned on an advanced yoga dvd a few years ago, I wouldn't suggest that as you can hurt your back. Most will say get an instructor but I think the beginner dvds are quite good.