3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Any exercises besides situps/cruches for belly? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/112987-any-exercises-besides-situps-cruches-belly.html)

Ambrosia 05-18-2007 06:58 PM

Any exercises besides situps/cruches for belly?

Every time I try attempt to do at least one set of sit ups or crunches I end up with intense back pain and lower neck pain. I've tried leg raises but I will like to find out other exercises for my abs. I'm losing weight but my stomach:o I know I have to lose overall weight to get rid of my pooch.

Any advice is appreciated.

Get n healthy 05-18-2007 08:02 PM

Have you tried beginning pilates or yoga. Pilates eventually gets into full crunches, but in the beginning, you start from a sitting position and just go half way back and then pull back up. There are all sorts of other positions for stomach strengthening in yoga and pilates....i had to start there. Especially if your back and stomach are weak or prone to trouble, there is nothing better to strength the core than pilates or yoga. There is also Core Secrets, with big ball, you can modify anything on that ball, crunches dont hurt your back on it, because your back is laying on the ball, it totally supports it.

Ilene 05-19-2007 03:11 PM

An exercise ball usually makes it easier on the back... As for your neck are you pulling on your head when you are doing your crunch, this is probably what is giving you are sore neck. For a crunch you should just put your hands on the side of your head or the back without pulling on your head, it's the abs that should be doing all the work. On your way up you should bring your upper back, shoulders and neck off the in one smooth motion and the abs should be doing all the work, and look at the ceiling... I like to put my legs up in the air and I look like an "L" this seems to keep the small of my back pressed against the floor and is easier on my back... I hope this makes sense.... Ask more questions if you have to :D ...

ennay 05-19-2007 08:12 PM

Plank is good...best done near a mirror.

Start in push-up position. Check to see that everything is in a straight line (butt is neither sagging nor up in the air). Hold it. When you can hold that for a loooooong time, then switch to elbows instead of hands (clasp hands, elbows under shoulders. Hold the straight line.

Mel 05-20-2007 10:25 AM

Ennay- thanks for describing the plank. I've been searching fo a picture.

Once you can hold the basic plank for one-two minutes on your elbows, get creative! try holding on one leg for a few seconds, then switching legs. try lifting one arm without rotating your torso. Also try side planks.

Planks are a great exercise because they work both abs and lower back.

Another great
exercise for your abs, obliques and lower back using a stability ball without crunching is a Russian Twist.

Mel

Mel

Ambrosia 05-24-2007 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ilene-I do pull on my neck. :)

I will definitely try to learn more about Pilates, Yoga and plank situps.
I have tobring my stability ball out of retirement.