3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Ravenous after a workout (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/112867-ravenous-after-workout.html)

Jayjay55 05-17-2007 12:22 PM

Ravenous after a workout

I started my road to fitness several months ago. First it was a yoga class once a week then I joined a core concepts class, then a definition class and about Christmas time a cardio blast class. These are held at lunch time and I eat my lunch after the class and it all works out fine.

Three weeks ago I started a hard core boot camp held three times a week for one hour in the evening. The first week after the class all I wanted was more water and nothing else. Last week I found I was able to have a hot drink before my shower. This week I am eating like crazy after class. I am doing my best to not go crazy but I am eating a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and last night I even had a rice krispie treat.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in hunger after working out? This is an extremely tough workout -- we go hard for an hour. It feels great but I feel like I work hard for an hour and then stoke up on the calories burned after.

fireflytrance 05-17-2007 12:43 PM

I do a class called Total Body Toning which is very intense and despite eating a snack beforehand I'm always hungry at the end. I still suggest eating a snack before though since it does help. I usually eat either a small low calorie muffin or a snack bar.

lumifan4ever 05-17-2007 12:50 PM

I know what you mean. I also take a very hard cardio class 3 times a week. I don't eat before the class but i am also very hungry after it. Last night, i planned in a kelloggs bar worth 60 calories and when i got home i had dinner. i made sure i only ate 4 ounces of protein (chicken breast) and half a serving of yogurt and a glass of 1% milk. I had to eat something because i get off work at 5:30 and my class is from 6pm-7pm. then a 30 minute drive home, so i tried to plan a very healthy, lite dinner.

Jayjay55 05-17-2007 12:53 PM

Thanks but I also eat a small amount before the class. I cook up chicken breasts ahead of time and eat 1/2 of one with a serving of brown rice. I need the protien before the class. I just wish I could go back to the first week when all I wanted was water.

baffled111 05-17-2007 02:50 PM

I always have the same problem when I start exercising after a hiatus. I am literally *starving* to death by the time I get home. I now time my workouts so that I can have lunch or breakfast when I get back from the gym. Can you not have your dinner when you get home?

Incidentally, over the last 4 months my ravenousity after the gym has decreased as I've gotten fitter and my body has adjusted to the exercise. I'm now at the point where I can eat a quick protein (a boiled egg, usually) and go about my business for another hour or so before I need to eat a meal. You might find the same to be true for you, the longer you do the workouts.

Ilene 05-18-2007 11:20 PM

I am sometimes, but not all the time, ravenous after a workout. But whether I am hungry or not I usually eat within at least an hour afterwards. You should be eating proteins and carbs after a workout, something that is easily digested, I like a whey protein powder drink made into a shake along with a fruit either blended in the drink or eaten on the side. This post workout meal is when the muscles absorb the most nutrients. What you should not be eating after a workout is fat because it would be slowing down the digestion of protein and carbs.

Don't forget to drink your water after a workout too...

Hope this helps...

Jayjay55 05-20-2007 07:23 PM

Thanks maybe that is the trick -- have half my chicken breast before the workout -- with the brown rice. And have the rest of the chicken after the workout. Baffled I have worked hard to not eat late at night and I don't get home until about 8 from the workout.

I know when I workout during the day I have my lunch after the workout and I am seldom famished in the afternoon.