Toning arms without using weights or doing push-ups?

• I would really like to build some muscle in my arms. However, I have chronic tendinitis in my wrists and I cannot lift weights or support my own weight on my hands. Is it possible to build muscle doing something else? All I can think of is waving my arms around my head or trying to hold them in a particular position for a long time. I don't suppose there are weights I could strap to my forearms or something instead to totally bypass my wrists?
  • You can get wrist weights.
  • There is a program by a lady named Wendie Pett called Transformetrics. She uses a lot of exercises called DVR (dynamic visualized resistance) in which your imagination creates the tension in your muscles). For example, a Biceps/Triceps Contaction would be where you slowly and with great tension do a biceps curl, contracting your biceps as hard a possible. Then reverse the motion and press your arms back down and flex your triceps hard. Things like that can really make you sore and really tone you up. I know she has a lot of different books and stuff at www.bronzebowpublishing.com.

Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Yup, isometrics and shadow-boxing are the best ways to tone your arms if you have delicate joints. PMed you about the book
  • Pilates is pretty good for that. The upper body dvd i have she gives you the option of no weights or a 1-2 pound weight. And you can feel it the next day whether you use a weight or not.
  • I would think swimming is a good arm toner. I know I went on Monday and swam a mile, first time I've been swimming in a while, and I am JUST now feeling ok again, lol! I was soooo sore all over but especially my arms.