Am I the only one?

• Am I the only who does not have a gym mebership? lol. My husband is pretty much a tightwad with our money half the time and he says the gym is just too much money. Which, I have lots of work out dvds, I have a areobic step, weights, and a exercise ball...so I guess not haivng a gym membership isnt so bad. I can do alot of exercises here at home as well. But sometimes I feel like I wouuld really love to have a gym membership. I dont even have a treadmill or an eliptical...but hopefully my husband will buy me a treadmill for mothers day
  • Nope, you are not alone! I don't go because I hated it in the past... never say never though - when I've lost a bit more, maybe I'll WANT to go... who knows?

I walk, and skate and ride my bike (okay - I haven't started the last one yet this year, but I PLAN to! )

Heather
  • I'm sure you're not the only person without a gym membership. Some people just aren't gym lovers.

I really can't relate to the rest of your post though, I can't imagine letting someone else decide if I get a gym membership or not, OR hoping fervently they'll get me something I've decided I want. I mean, the way you live your life is your business, it's just one of those things that always gets my goat, whatever that means...
  • I don't have a gym membership. Simply can't afford one. My dad said though, that if I work out consistently for one year, he'll buy me a one year membership at the club of my choice.

So I'm working hard!!

I "run" (quotes because I'm very, very slow and just starting), "bike" (quotes cuz I have a stationary at home), and swim (once a week). I also have a weight bench and dumbbells at home that I can use.
  • I didnt have a gym membership for years. I have one now because I need daycare while I work out and I wasnt getting the weights done at home. If I had the room I would save the gym money and put in a good bowflex or similar multimachine thing at home. Free weights are a hazard with little ones, so they are all in a closet right now.

I usually join a gym for a few years, then work out at home for a couple....just to mix things up.
  • Quote: I really can't relate to the rest of your post though, I can't imagine letting someone else decide if I get a gym membership or not, OR hoping fervently they'll get me something I've decided I want. I mean, the way you live your life is your business, it's just one of those things that always gets my goat, whatever that means...
    I don't think that it is letting someone "decide" my life (or Wateraddicts life). It is a respect thing for the rest of the family. I would love to join a gym but it would not benefit the family (my husband and 2 kids) because then they would not get to eat. I would not run out and spend $300-1,000 on a tredmil or anything else any more than he would run out and spend the same amount on a dirt bike or something. It is a respect thing. It is one of the things that makes a marriage (or at least mine) work.
  • nope you are not...
    I don't have one. I was given one by a church last year and I loved it, I have to admit. It was to the YMCA and if the membership was for more than 6 months I think I would have done great, instead of slipping back into a eating everything mode.
    If I had the money I would do it again, but it is $1000 for a family membership here, and I applied for financial help, with no help.
    I did go out last year with my tax refund and buy a elliptical and am finally putting it to use, I also have free weights, weight ball, and am looking into dvd's. If I had the $ I would buy a treadmill, I used one at the Y and it was great.
    But I don't think everyone needs a gym membership , some people are able to do great on their own. It isn't a requirement to be healthy, and in my opinion if the gov't is so interested in this "obese" society, why aren't there gyms for all people, or on a sliding scale? that is just my two cents.
    cheryl