HR and pedometers recommendations?

• Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on HR monitors. I've seen the ones on sports watches - do they work?

Also, I think I'd like to get a pedometer as well. Are there brands that are better than others? I don't have a lot to spend, but I also don't want to buy the cheapest one on the market and then not have it work properly.

Thanks!
  • Hi Carrie,
    I just got a Polar F4 HRM last week. It's the cheapest one they have on offer at $89. The more expensive ones have more functions, but I figured that the heart rate info and calories burned info (plus daily and weekly averages and all that) were enough for me. It works great and I think I love it. The chest strap is not the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, but I tuck it right under my bra strap and it stays in place and does its thing. I wish mine could give calorie/hour info, but I don't know that any of them do that. I love that it transmits my heart rate to the machine I'm on so that I don't need to look at the watch to keep track of that. It's very cool!
  • Polar seems to be the name in HR monitors... and as baffled111 noted, they have a range of prices.

You also seemed to be asking about pedometers. I have an Omron (forget the model) and I love it. You can put it in a pocket or purse and it works well (as well as any do). I think I got mine for around $20 from amazon. There are cheaper ones out there but they seem to break down a lot.
  • I also have the Omron HJ-112 Digital Premium Pedometer (from amazon.com) that you can put in your pocket and LOVE it. I've gone through 5-6 different pedometers and this one is MUCH more accurate than any yet. And I love that I can put it in my pocket rather than clip it on. It also has a 5 day memory, and keeps track of aerobic steps vs. regular steps (though I think it's hard to get it to register aerobic steps...there's plenty of times I'm huffin' and puffin' and look at the ped and it says ZERO aerobic steps...blah!).
  • Any combination ones out there for under 100 dollars?
    I have been pricing HR monitors as well.

And I may just go with a cheapy on ebay. Are there HR and Pedometers combos? My searches are coming up dry.