3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Any triathletes here? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/108887-any-triathletes-here.html)

Rock Chalk Chick 04-03-2007 10:03 AM

Any triathletes here?

Just wondering if there are any triathletes on these forums? I finished my first sprint tri last fall and am looking forward to improving on that this summer (and shaking off the 20 pounds that I gained back after winter set in!)

I bounce around a few tri forums but it's sometimes really tricky to be trying to lose weight AND train successfully, so I was hoping to find a few fellow fat (or formerly fat) triathletes around here to commiserate with! Add in the fact that I've been told I'm overexerting myself with my training schedule (2-a-day workouts don't make a whole lot of sense to a lot of people, overweight or not!) and I could use a little support on the 3FC side of things.

I'd hoped to complete an end-of-May tri, but I'm finishing my master's thesis and need to be reasonable. I'm going to register for an end-of-June sprint instead, and hopefully an Oly later in the summer.

So, who's with me? Any other triathletes, or budding triathletes around here? Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it - I started training last summer with a little swimming under my belt, but I built up my biking and running practically from scratch.

AnneWonders 04-03-2007 09:30 PM

A few of us around here and a few wanna-be's. And one of these days, Ilene is going to do it, I just know.

I've been doing tri since 2004. It is a lot of fun.

Anne

YP1 04-04-2007 03:44 AM

I want to do it, but it will probably be next year because of my marathon plans this year. I'm working on my swimming at the moment, my running's pretty good but the other two are a bit shaky - although today I did 30 minutes of continuous front crawl for the first time, so I'm pleased with that.

Ilene 04-04-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wndranne (Post 1638580)
And one of these days, Ilene is going to do it, I just know.

:lol: I know how to swim now, but I have to get my feet wet in the river :dizzy:... I'm a BIG :chicken:

ennay 04-04-2007 03:31 PM

On occasion, I am having a hard time post kids fitting in swimming as there is no daycare at the pool

Ilene 04-04-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

(2-a-day workouts don't make a whole lot of sense to a lot of people, overweight or not!) and I could use a little support on the 3FC side of things.
I 2 or 3-a-day workouts often... Weight train in the morning, run in early afternoon and swim late afternoon...and soon when spring arrives I'll be biking in there :dizzy:

YP1 04-05-2007 03:55 AM

I run and swim (2 workouts) 2 days a week, so it makes sense to me.

There's a "Gym Triathlon" challenge at my gym apparently, the posters just went up this morning, so I might have a go at that.

boarderchick 04-06-2007 12:36 AM

I've done a few sprint triathlons. 2 a day workouts is usually the norm. When I'm training I usually like to do 3 bike 3 run and 2 swims per week. Currently I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, so I bike a bit but no swimming currently.

Good luck with your training!

stacylambert 04-07-2007 02:23 AM

I'm planning on completing a few next year. I've got the bike down. I'm working on the run and swim. Swimming will be the thing to hold me back from it if anything. Not because I'm slow or whatever but I'm just afraid of open water. I'm learning to swim at the gym pool (up until now I've just doggy paddled) but deep, open water has always scared the heck outta me. My husband and his friend are training for a sprint this fall and plan on doing oly's after that. In the meantime they're doing 5 and 10K's and I know they have a 37 mi. bike race coming up. My husband said he'd love to do ONE half ironman and then retire!