Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Fearful of walking/running

So I fractured a bone in my arm a couple of weeks ago, and haven't been exercising the way I used to, of course. I have been to the gym only twice, mostly because I couldn't drive myself there, and my DH had work stuff. I've done the stationery bike twice, lifted weights with my legs and good arm, and did the elliptical once. I can just barely drive now (turning the key is particularly difficult), and feel comfortable driving only short distances. The break is in an area that they can't cast so my arm is unprotected, and I've been encouraged to use it so it won't stiffen up (painful, but necessary).

I thought about going for walks to get some exercise, but realized I'm afraid to walk. I fell on the sidewalk walking to my Dad's assisted living facility, which is how I broke my arm (tripped over a raised bit of sidewalk). I also run, although not on sidewalks, but thinking about running even makes me afraid. And I so want to get back into the 5K races this summer. Someone already mentioned that he hadn't seen me at last week's race.

Any suggestions on how to get over this fear? Perhaps when my arm is fully healed, I'll feel differently? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Sheila, I don't really have any answers for you, but I can reassure you that you WILL get over it. It may take a little time but you will. I broke my ankle two and a half years ago, and I was terrified for a long time of just walking down my steps or walking to my car or ANYthing at all. And now I'm running! I honestly never thought I'd get over the fear as much as I have. And then I started the 10k training team and I fell on one of my first group runs. I cracked my face on the pavement, pretty much, chipping a tooth and ending up with a huge black eye and very banged up knees. I didn't want to be afraid again, so I got out and ran the very next day. It's not the same as a broken arm, though, and I can certainly see why you'd be hesitant.

Seriously, though...my ankle was broken completely through, and all I was doing was walking down my steps. There's no way to stop these things from happening, really, but we can't stop doing what we love. I know you'll get through it, and when your arm is back to normal you'll be fine.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I echo what Lisa Marie said - I also broke my ankle badly walking down steps. I'd never run before I was injured, and I remember having to relearn how to walk once the cast came off. I never dreamed I'd be able to run like I do now, but the confidence has come back, and it's stronger than ever now. I even run cross country without worrying about tripping over tree roots now!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

My thinking is that if you fall off the bike you get back on it and try again... You CAN do this, it's only walking and you've done it all your life and only fell once... You can do this
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I gotta say though, you may NOT get over it if you don't get out there and do it now. I started pulling away from getting shots. Small at first. I'd opt out of a tetanus shot figuring I didn't really need it. Then I found myself putting off dental work because of the shot. The more I put things off, the more afraid I became of needles, until I had refuses ANY shots for several years. So I started therapy. I now have a full blown phobia that will never go away but that I've learned steps in coping with it.

So...don't put it off, or you may continue putting it off. Fears can become phobias. It all depends on how we deal with them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

You gotta jump back on that horse and just do it! The longer you baby the fear, the worse it will become. Don't let this accident stop you from enjoying your summer 5k runs. That would be a real shame. Go out right now and take a walk around the block. You can do it!!!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow--thanks for all the advice! Good point about letting my fear become a phobia. It almost feels like a phobia. Too late for me to go for a walk right now, but I'm going to do it tomorrow so I can get over this fear and start building some confidence.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote