Weight loss and loose skin

• I know that many times this cannot be prevented but I am curious what my risks are and if I can do anything to lessen the chances of it happening.
    RIght now I am 26YO ,5'4". 168 pounds and 35% BF.
    I plan to lose about 40 pounds.
    I have never had children. My highest weight ever was 185. I have gone up and down in weight a bit the last few years..Going between 145-170.
    I am going to be following a healthy diet and working out consistently..cardio and weight training.
    SO just based on those things how likely am I to not be able to tighten my abs and other parts...
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Amy
  • I have the same concerns about my baby pouch. I have 60 something lbs to lose and I am so skeeered that I am going to have this flap of skin hanging there...
  • hhmm, i don't think that you really have to worry about that....loosing like 60 lbs shoudn't even stretch you out very bad, if at all. but, if you are worried about it, the toning will help, and make sure that you are getting a good amount of vitamin c, it helps your body make collegen, which will keep your skin firmer
  • Do you have stretch marks really bad if not you will probably be fine. Afew stetch marks are okay we usually get these during puberty they are freom the skin stetching too far and too fst. Most people get them during prgnacy With that said you realyy were not that overweight so there should not be too much of a problem.
  • Here's everything you wanted to know about loose skin:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
  • WEll I do have stretch marks..Mainly my inner thighs and I got those around 12 years old. I also have some on the back part of my arms and a few on my chest.
  • I have always wondered if the fat is more attractive than teh excess skin would be. I really do hope that this will not be a problem because it scares me....
  • Quote: I have always wondered if the fat is more attractive than teh excess skin would be. I really do hope that this will not be a problem because it scares me....
    The fat is not more attractive in my opinion, BUT the fat is not healthy and excess skin is not dangerous to your health... I'd be more concerned with my health than my looks...
  • I had 4 kids in 5 years. I almost doubled my body weight with each pregnancy (110 to 198). My smallest baby was 8 lb 3 oz, my largest was 10 lb 6 oz...i am 5'2", so im not very big. I got stretch marks like you would not believe. It looks like a cat used my stomach as a scratching post. After i initially lost the weight, my stomach hung....i hated it...was repulsed. After working out consistantly for about a year, my belly dosnt hang anymore. THe stretch marks are faint white lines (yes there are still a TON of them) that dont show very much. Bikini season is permanantly OVER, but it really dosnt look bad. I have nice abdominal muscles that are visible, and my clothes look good...in dim light, or at a distance of more than 5 ft, you cant see a thing. It did take about a year and 1/2 for my skin to catch up to the rest of me, but its not bad now.
  • I am also only 5'2" I always say I have the road map of some town with back roads and all. I am glad to hear your skin went back I hope mine will do the same but not counting on. So it took about 1 1/2 years WOW! better then sugery thought.
  • I'm 5'2 1/2, so I just say 5'3, LOL!
    When I had my first son @ 18 everything just snapped back and I was 125 lbs. Pre baby weight was 98 lbs, so I'll NEVER see that again, and wouldn't want to. After I had my 2nd son at 26, I went into a deep depression that still get's me every now and then, but I also almost doubled my weight and it's been almost 14 yrs since I had him. I've been fat for 14 years! OMG! I do have stretch marks, but they don't really bother me much. I have a horrible baby belly that does hang and it does repulse me as well, so I imagine with my age, fair skin and the many years I've been this way, I am going to have some excess skin. I don't know for sure and maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Luckily, my fella loves me just as I am, whether I lose another pound or not, so I guess he'll love me thinner with a lil unruley skin as well. So long as I can hide it under cuter, smaller sized clothes, that's all that matters. I just wanna be heathy, wear cute clothes, and not have to take meds for Diabetes (type 2) anymore. I am not going to set unrealistic goals and think that just because I lose this weight, I am going to be that cute, skinny, young 26 yr old anymore. I'll settle for a thinner, young looking, Healthy 40 year old!