3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Biker Chicks Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/108056-biker-chicks-chat.html)

mudbug 04-14-2007 11:33 AM

canfield...:welcome3:

:tantrum: My bike is in the shop for some adjustments and it's taken way too long!!! I'm stuck riding old faithfull:lol: but a workout is a workout. Found a cycling club nearby that rides several times a week. They have a beginners ride 12-15mi. I'm gonna try next sat. I'm so excited about that:dancer: Ive been riding solo and would love some company.:bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:

Rhonda

Diva 04-14-2007 01:57 PM

I got my bike fixed! YAY!!!!!!!!

I'm def going to have to use my inhaler though, just trying to come up one small incline I had a mini asthma attack. :( I really wanna ride it 1.8 miles to the community center, swim some laps and ride it 1.8 miles back home, but the ride is VERY hilly and I am thinking I might have to build up to this goal.

I'm excited!!! :carrot:

drake3272004 04-14-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

I got my bike fixed! YAY!!!!!!!!

I'm def going to have to use my inhaler though, just trying to come up one small incline I had a mini asthma attack. I really wanna ride it 1.8 miles to the community center, swim some laps and ride it 1.8 miles back home, but the ride is VERY hilly and I am thinking I might have to build up to this goal.

I'm excited!!!
Asthma sucks! Last summer it was sooooo dry here and dusty, I had to go in and get an inhaler. I hadn't had to use one in 3 years:p Usually I can control it with minimal caffeine, controlled breathing, and the occasional allergy pill. But I was determined not to let it slow me down, so glad I didn't!!

boarderchick 04-15-2007 09:02 PM

Hi all--

My back spasm has largely gone away, so I was able to ride today. My sister and I did an easy trail by the seymour river at a very relaxed pace. It was about 12 degrees C out and no rain. The river was rushing and totally beautiful. I think, dare i say it?, that spring has sprung in my neck of the woods.

I didn't want to overdo it, as I ran 10K yesterday for a training run for the 1/2 marathon. My rides will be longer once I'm done with that.

Hope everyone was able to get out this weekend.

Erinyes74 04-15-2007 10:25 PM

Alright, we've got some riders out there!

I'm in New Hampshire. Right now we're getting hit with the same freak huge storm that's drenched half the country, so sadly, the trails will be too wet to ride for awhile (roads are no fun! no offense, roadies! :p ). Don't want to damage them, so we'll wait for drier weather.

Anyways, my current ride is a 2004 Santa Cruz Blur. :D
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bic...hp?bike=blurxc

It's waaaay more bike than I need, but I love it.

Wndranne- If you're looking for a nice set of platform pedals, check out the Easton Flatboy.
http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...ct/28/164/7550

They're really solid-- you can smack them against anything and they will come out the winner! (Downside: they're heavy!). Also, if you want to avoid falling on downhills (who doesn't?), the best thing you can do is keep your weight back. And the best way to do that is to stay off your seat-- keep your butt waaaay back, like, over your back wheel. You can almost never be too far back (as long as you stay low-- chest over seat).

boarderchick- A Shore rider. I'm sooooo jealous! Before I die, I'd like to get out there and ride some of that. Sick, sick stuff! :D

Anyways, happy trails to you ladies! If anyone's in Southern NH and they want to do some riding, PM me! I'll ditch DD (she's 9 months old, so not quite ready yet, but soon!) with DH.

Steph

mudbug 04-16-2007 06:51 PM

Got in a good ride today after getting my bike out of the shop:carrot: Rode for approx. 90 min. felt I could keep going, but my bum was numb. Got to get that thing used to the saddle again:lol3:
steph....nice bike:cp: and:welcome:
borderchick...glad your back is feeling better:hug:
Hoping the weather gets better for ya'll up north:crossed:

Rhonda

boarderchick 04-16-2007 08:11 PM

Hi Steph--yes, I'm a shore rider, also whistler. We have everything here from green runs to the gnarliest of black diamonds. I love the technical stuff that's not too high. There are some ramps, a-frames and skinnies built close to the ground so if you bail you don't need search and rescue. I'm sort of a blue run kind of girl.

I agree with you re: keeping weight b-a-c-k. In addition, I'd say use rear brake 80% and front brake 20% on descents. Also, feather the brakes and don't skid on the trail, roll... Look and face toward where you're going and not where you're afraid you'll end up. I regularly take bunches of new women onto the mountain to try trail riding, and I'm always saying that!

happy riding all!

boarderchick 04-16-2007 08:12 PM

Oh, and mudbug, glad to hear your bike is out of hospital.

vickidr 04-17-2007 12:02 AM

Hi All,

Am seriously thinking about buying a bike...just dont know which type to buy...I live in central Indiana..pretty flat,prefer to ride on paved & I think I'm in pretty good shape now. I normally walk at a slight incline on the treadmill for 3 miles a day about 5 days a week..Also work with free weights 3 times a week..Need to change it up a bit though..I do have achy knees that I'm trying to rehab with strengthing excersises...Any recommendations greatly appreciated...Thanks,Vicki

AnneWonders 04-19-2007 10:06 PM

Bump!

I've been away for a week. Hoping to get a ride in this weekend after I do about 4000 loads of laundry.

Anne

mudbug 04-19-2007 10:48 PM

Wndranne, Thats no fun .

Got a good 90min. ride in today . Yesterday, got a flat so my exercise for that

day was walking my bike 2mi back to my car. Oh well ,it was exercise. I

have a group ride Sat. 1st time riding with a group :carrot: Weather will be

upper 50's that morning, but I'm sure it will warm up quickly.

HAPPY RIDING EVERYONE!!:bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2:

Rhonda

boarderchick 04-20-2007 03:41 PM

Hi Rhonda--enjoy your group ride! I hope it goes really well for you! I just ahd 1 hour 45 minute run, so no ride for me today. I'm going to try and go tomorrow with my sister.

I'll let you know if I make it out there. The trails here were beautiful today, I was trail running...

Ilene 04-20-2007 09:24 PM

vickidr --My recommendation would be a hybrid type bike, but visit a reputable bike dealer and try a bunch out, they'll be able to help you...

I got my first bike ride of the season in today, the weather is finally nice :sunny:...Did 20k in 58mins...

Tomorrow I pick up my new bike :D:D:D:D: I can't wait!! http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/lar...ty&bike=Monona

Ilene 04-22-2007 11:18 PM

Saturday, with my new bike, did 20k in the morning and 20 in the afternoon :D
Today only 12k, but I ran 8k ...

mudbug 04-23-2007 09:01 AM

Hello biker chicks:wave:

Went on my first group ride Sat. When I pulled up and saw all the professonal bikes and bikers I was a little nervous. Thankfully there was a beginners group. What a beautiful day!!! We rode 18 mi. , the most I've done at one time but It didn't seem it. Everyone was so nice and I think I'm hooked!!
:bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2: :bike2:

Rhonda:carrot: