Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Boarderchick, where do you live? The group sounds wonderful!

I blew off a nice road ride on a beautiful Saturday when my DH was watching DD due to a horrible hacking cough that would not STOP. Frustrating. My friend went without me and made 42 miles. I at least made it up to fill her water bottles. Hoping to ride again this week--still remains to be seen if I'll be on dirt or pavement.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

harcrashley
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #18  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

welcome likestobike, 6 miles both way? that sounds like a great workout!

hello harcrashley, I too have issues with my back. Had to have the bottom3 levels pinned and fussed so there is no bending there. so I must sit pretty uprite in the saddle ,handlebars are turned up for me to make it easier so far so good . Had a little mishap the other day but didn't go down got bruised up a bit. I really need to be more careful then I am but I get carried away and Think I'm a teenager or am invincible.
Does anyone watch cyclysm sundays on Versus? There was so many accidents !!!! Had a very cautious ride yesterday after watching that.

logging 9mi. for yesterday

goal- 20mi. ride
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 140/133/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I ended up sleeping through my alarm today (excuses, excuses!) so I didn't bike to work again. The rest of the week is kind of crazy with meetings in different locations, but starting next week, my goal is to ride my bike to work twice a week. I think that is a good, realistic goal.

Good luck everyone!
likestobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #20  

Sorry to hear about your back problems, and your little mishap, mudbug. But good to hear you've been able to adapt your riding style to fit your back! I probably won't log any miles until Friday or Saturday. I do reformer Pilates twice a week to strengthen my back and core, the elliptical a couple times a week since there's no impact to my back doing that and I can burn some calories, and then ride a couple times a week. The combo of those three keeps me pretty happy and keeps my butt moving!
harcrashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #21  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Welcome, likestobike and harcrashley!

I am having problems getting my workouts in, and it's stressing me out.
I think I'm just way too much of a perfectionist (using the PC term, lol), and tend to just give up when I can't get the workout in at the time I planned for it. I'm going to go from past experience here, and just stop trying to plan a workout schedule. I'm going to focus on the eating (as in, eating the right foods to help me feel better and lose weight) for now, and let the biking and running come as they will. I think this will work better for me right now, rather than the rigid schedule I was trying (and failing) to stick to. One habit at a time, usually works for me, so I'm going to start with my diet. This will relieve the stress, and I will report in with whatever I am doing on the bike and keep checking in here. I'm not giving up, but I think that for now, the whole stress of trying to work up to 30 miles is not so much a motivator as feeling like an anvil hanging over my head, especially if I miss a scheduled ride. I want the biking to be fun, and not another chore I have to squeeze in.

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to get this sorted out in my head. Right now is just a busy time with a lot of projects going on at home and work, and I just have felt pulled in too many directions at once. I'm sure it will all work out if I just let it come about more naturally and get my priorities in order!

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #22  

wndranne--I live in an area of Vancouver BC, Canada. Close to mountains and there are tons of trails on the north shore. I love my biking group, and now just organizing next weekend's ride. I think this one for Saturday... I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, and that's taking alot of my attention. My first love is biking though.

Hope you get over your cough. How annoying!

Cheryl--yes, look at exercise as not a chore but as a joy if you can. It's hard when you have such a concrete goal. Stick with it, you'll do fine! The cool thing is after you meet your goal you'll have much more confidence.

I'll let you all know if I squeeze a ride in the weekend
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #23  
mudbug

Sorry to hear your stressed out, jamsk8r forcing ourseves to get in our exercise is not enjoyable when schedules don't allow it. Just hang in there!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #24  

I rode 4 miles today on some of the nastiest trail I've tried yet. Well, I probably rode about 2 miles, and pushed about 2 miles. I had a close encounter with a cactus and a flat tire. Couldn't get my nerve up to barrel down the rocky washes like the guys did, so I ended up walking a lot. 1.5 hrs. Geeze. Anyway, plan for tomorrow is 45 on the road, 2.5-3 hrs. I'll check back in then.

Anne
Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

I can't wait for the nice weather to bike
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #26  
mudbug

Wed.- 10mi.
Fri.-11mi took me 90 min.sooo windy out.

wndranne, I'm so impressed your my hero!

Rhonda
Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #27  

Thanks to the welcoming committee! Just got back from an 11.5 mile ride. It's beautiful these days in Central Florida. Best time of year, before it gets way too hot and humid. Had a bit of wind resistance, but just a great day to ride. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
harcrashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #28  

This morning was 48 miles. I am properly conditions for about 30, and with the gnarly mtn biking experience yesterday, let's just say today was painful. Took about 3.5 hrs, which was way longer than I was expecting. Now I'm probably conditioned for about 40! LOL. A lot of the ride was absolutely gorgeous though, winding through mountains (yes, rolling hills) and beautiful stands of cactus. The desert is starting to bloom this year.

It actually doesn't take that long to get up to riding long distances on the road. I think the hardest part of conditioning is the first 20. After that it is easy (more or less) to ride an additional 5 miles a week on the long ride. The first 20 is a killer if I remember right.

Anne
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #29  

PS: I hate wind! I will sometimes cancel a ride if it's windy. You ladies should be proud of yourselves!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #30  

Had a great ride yesterday with 6 of my biking group. We did cross country MTB trail. Really wooded. It actually hailed! Only for a few minutes. We're not used to seeing hail here, mostly bears etc. Took us 1 hour to do 10 K, but we were also lifing bikes over fallen trees etc. Very fun.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote