Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Question Swimming advice!

I just found out that a Rec center near my work has an indoor pool, and that the price to use it is pretty reasonable. I've always wanted to swim as exercise so I went out today and bought a suit and some goggles and I'm actually really excited.

But the thing is, I'm a pretty poor swimmer and I'm a little afraid of looking foolish. I had lessons as a kid, so I can make it from one end of the pool to the other, but it's completely un graceful.

Anyone have some tips on form? Should you stick with the same type of stroke? or is it better to switch it up? Keep in mind, I only know three, breast stroke, side stroke, and doggy paddle. Are there any pool ettiquette things I should know about? What's a reasonable goal for a beginner?

Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated, Thanks!!!!

Last edited by AmberD; 03-11-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: To make the thumbs down go away!!!
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

For swimming as an exercise and aerobic workout I do the front crawl as do most people... I took one year of lessons but that's really not necessary, but if you wish and can afford it it's not a bad idea... I showed my g/f how to do it and she's doing extremely well now and we can both do lap upon lap without stopping for a great workout ...

... Here is a great site for some techniques and swimming skills

Don't be intimidated, we all had to start somewhere...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/173/145

Height: 5'8"

One thing that will make or break my swimming routine, is if I have the proper equiptment.

Most importantly, a good fitting one piece swimsuit really helps. The ones with a racerback style back are fantastick. Keeps you from feeling uncomfortable.

Also, I find it helps to have goggles and a swim cap. The chlorene is hard on your eyes and hair. It might be a $20.00 investment but it's well worth it.
lblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I agree, I cannot swim without a bathing cap even if my hair is tied up... I forgot my cap once and it was the worse swim ever...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
But the thing is, I'm a pretty poor swimmer and I'm a little afraid of looking foolish. I had lessons as a kid, so I can make it from one end of the pool to the other, but it's completely un graceful.
I love swimming, but I'm not that graceful either at times. Practice each one and see what feels right for you, I do change it up because I get bored and then my form sucks And don't worry about what other people think, they are usually too busy doing their own thing to care how your form is!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote