Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #1  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Question HIIT Question

I've been doing the gerbil-on-the-wheel treadmill routine for 6 weeks now and am growing numb from it. I'm doing TM 5 days/wk for 45-50 minutes per day; varying b/twn 3.8-4.3 mph. I am interested in doing high intensity interval training (HIIT) and have the basics down, found some routines that I can comfortably start with, etc. What I'm wondering is

1. How often does one do HIIT? Everyday, every other day, x times per week? I generally do my cardio M-F with weekends off.

2. If you do the HIIT say M, W, F do you do the gerbil workouts on Tues and Thurs (or do some other type of less intense cardio) or can HIIT be done everyday?

I'm finally getting that the gerbil workout is less effective than any type of HIIT (I'm planning on alternating treadmill HIIT and jumprope HIIT programs) as far as fat loss goes. Also, I am starting on some basic weight training. I'm looking to lose 35 lbs. of fat and shape everything up. I've lost 6 lbs so far (since the beginning of Jan.) but have hit a plateau and need to revamp my workouts.

I've been searching all over for this specific info w/out any luck so far. Any suggestions/information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #2  

There is no specific answer to your questions, because everyone reacts differently.

1. HIIT generally should not be done every day. After a while, it can be hard on your system and you can give up. I generally rotate between 3 types of intervals- walking, jogging, and sprinting (HIIT). However, you should try it out to see what you can tolerate.

2. On the off-HIIT days, do whatever cardio you want- gerbil (endurance) or a more moderate interval training, or a different machine. They each have their benefits.

If you are starting weight training, you may find that doing HIIT the day before or after leg day may be a bit much. Try it out and see how it goes.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

HIIT is tough and I think it should be done every 2nd day, on the other days maybe run or walk outside or defnitely do some weight training...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote